Chapter 6 - Geoffery Found Her In Between the Shelves

A week quickly passed, and I spent most of my time in the library or back at Eve's and Amelia's room. I wanted to go out and find Sandy, but I was always pulled in to help with homework. I hadn't started college yet, and the girls knew that, but they saw that I was able to assist them with their studies, mainly the math portion of it. I also helped quiz them when they had an exam.

"Are you sure that we are not taking advantage of you, Katie?" Eve asked me Friday night, my second in 1923. Nothing really special happened over the weekend, except a church meeting on Sunday. The Irvines were incredibly religious, so it was odd that I didn't see Sandy there. Us girls just chilled in the room the whole day on Sunday after church, and I had to resist asking if we could find the guys, mainly Dick and Sandy. Eve had said that she wanted to spend it in with the girls—every now and then a girl has to get away from her fiancée.

"No, not at all," I said as I lay on those blankets on the rug. I had made a makeshift sleeping bag from those blankets. "It was fun just spending time with you and Amelia and resting for a day from all of our hard work during the week."

"I agree." She giggled a little when Amelia made a rather large snore. My little bed was right on the floor near Eve's, so we could talk quietly and still hear each other, only her bed was elevated off the floor about two feet. "I bet you wanted to do other things after church, though." I didn't answer right away. "You did, didn't you? You wanted to see Sandy, am I right?"

I let out a breath. "Okay, you caught me. I guess I can't hide it."

"You are absolutely mad about him, aren't you?" I only nodded, and I saw her grin. "I love it. I had mentioned it before, but I would rather you be with him than that Marjory. I hate her being with him, and it is incredibly awkward for Dick."

"I bet." I stared up at the dark ceiling, mulling things over in my head. "Eve... I don't think I or anyone will be able to convince Sandy not to go to Everest. He's so set on it. I told you what he said when we were talking that day near the river... dying on Everest would be the be the way to die, as opposed to dying in your sleep."

"We still have to try. I was serious when I first met you, that you would be good to convince him. He seems quite taken with you, and protective, like a bodyguard. Geoffrey Milling won't bother you with him around."

I smirked. Sandy had rescued me from Geoffrey twice, so I wouldn't call him my bodyguard. "I guess so."

"I say that because I heard from Dick that Geoffrey is going on this trip to Murren in a month. I honestly think that lad is going because of you. He fancies you but has an odd way of showing it."

My heart pulsed and I shot up. "Wait, Geoffrey's going to Murren?"

"Indeed. Apparently, he used the university phone to contact that man Lunn in Switzerland, the same one Sandy wrote to."

I couldn't remember if Geoffrey went to Murren with Sandy, I just knew that he went with to Spitsbergen. "Arnold Lunn hasn't even written Sandy back yet. I have no idea if I'm going to Murren or not. If Geoffrey's going, then I'm not."

I lay back down in finality. Eve said, "Even when Sandy is going? Like I said, Sandy will protect you."

"I think it would be much more fun without him—Geoffrey."

"He has his moments of goodness, just not where it concerns young women and school. He loves to have a good time."

I remembered reading about hat. He liked the social life of college and not college itself. "I agree." I yawned.

"I think we should go to sleep. Tomorrow is another day."

"Yes, it is, and I will spend it in the library."