fifty

fifty

_____ 🌿 _____

JIN STUMBLED FROM BED, GROGGILY. With a loud yawn, he rubbed the sleep from his eyes, and padded out into the hallway to start the day.

Birds chirped loudly outside his apartment as he went about his morning routine. He took a lengthy shower — his time divided between relaxing his sore muscles under the hot water and jamming out to his favourite songs. He then dried off, brushed his hair and teeth before dipping into his bedroom to dress comfortably for the day. Despite the beautiful sunshine and clear blue skies, he had no plans for the day, other than some casual baking and bingeing some anime on tv. He was going to take full advantage of his weekend off.

He thought about calling Hoseok; after his lengthy conversation with Jimin he took the initiative to call the older to talk to him. It was a little awkward, filled with a ton of dead silence, but it was nice to have talked to him. As he headed for the kitchen, he opted against it. He wasn't sure if he could do another embarrassingly awkward phone call so soon. Maybe he could text him instead.

However, life had other ideas for Kim Seokjin as he stood in his kitchen making breakfast (breakfast being a bowl of cereal because why not?). He did not hear the soft knock that rapt at his door. He did hear the second one as he sat down on the couch to eat his breakfast, but ignored it, assuming that it might have been the tree branch outside his window that had a habit of tapping at the glass when it was windy.

Third time's a charm; as he was mid bite, he heard a much louder, clear, concise knock at his door, puzzling him. With a quirked brow and his cereal bowl in hand, he rose steadily and wandered towards his door, wondering who was paying him a visit this early in the morning. It wasn't Jimin — he had texted the older saying he wasn't going to be back in town for at least a week or so — and Jungkook had texted him before his run saying he was going to talk to Taehyung about possibly spending his rut with him. Jin wished him the best (and hoped that Tae would have a positive response). Upon opening his door, he was greeted by a musical voice.

"Hello Jin,"

If it weren't for his iron grip, Jin might have dropped his bowl in surprise.

A friendly smile — one too soothing and sweet considering what it was coming from — was waiting for him on the other side of the door. His eyes held more warmth and adoration than Jin had ever known; his smile blinding and innocent. For a fraction of a second, Jin could see his humanity radiating off him; see the man he used to be, and his whole world stopped with just one look.

Jin swallowed the lump in his throat as reality crashed back down to him, and snapped him from his thoughts.

"Hoseok,"

It comes out harsher than expected, and Jin isn't a hundred percent sure, but he could have sworn he saw him swallow hard. He regrets saying his name almost immediately. He's convinced he upset him.

Hoseok sheepishly tucked his arm behind his head, cupping the back of his neck.

"Good morning?" he says, but it comes out like a question — as if he's the one waking up to a stranger at his door.

"Morning," Jin deadpanned, still in shock to see him at his door. How had he even known where he lived?

Hoseok's smile faltered.

"I um...apologize for just showing up like this, I uh,"

Jin had never seen him look this flustered. Hoseok was usually very confident around him, and he was typically the shy one, but seeing him here in front of him, stuttering over his words, it was surreal. Jin didn't realize he had this much of an effect on him.