forty-nine

forty-nine

_____ 🌿 _____

JIMIN'S BROW FURROWED IN IMMENSE CONFUSION AS HE STARED DOWN AT THE JOURNAL IN HIS HANDS. Thunder echoed loudly outside as the heavy downpour battered against the windows. A flash of lightning lit up the sky in an eerie, swamp green, and Jimin briefly wondered why he was using the rainy atmosphere as his only source of lighting, when he could have easily sat in one of the comfy armchairs instead, and flicked on a lamp. All morning he'd been cooped up in the window sill, flicking through the pages of his old journal, trying to make out what he'd written down all those years ago. It was nearly impossible. Jimin felt like he was reading a different language. His writing was messy, smushed together in a messy scrawl surrounded by puddles of ink blots. He'd been heavy handed.

Opposite to him was Yoongi, who was as still as a statue. His eyes were trained on the window as he stared out into nothingness. His vision was obstructed by the water pouring off the glass — it was like trying to make out your reflection in a rippling pond — but he seemed so focused. There was something on the other side of the glass that captured his attention, something maybe only he could see, and whatever it was left him still, and silent. Jimin forgot he was there altogether. He was lost in his own little world, which weighed heavily in his hands.

He ran his fingers lightly over the page.

ib bin ha...neiatmarze

Jimin made a face, reading the line repeatedly as his face scrunched in utter confusion. Had he been writing in German? There was no way. It was highly unlikely that he knew German five hundred years ago. He didn't even know German now, but maybe...

neiatmarze wunt stob...deruning...ib bining derun. hee wunts tu hert mi. dunt wunt tu bi afrid.

"What the fuck?" he hissed lightly under his breath.

Yoongi's head snapped up in his direction as the words tumbled from his mouth, instantly scooting closer to him in the enclosed space. Within seconds, he had pulled the journal from his hands, and peered gently into his eyes with his own worried ones, scanning his face for any signs of distress. He moved at such a speed, that his sudden presence in Jimin's line of view took him by surprise. His breathing hitched in his throat.

"What is it? Are you hurt?" he asked softly. He brought Jimin's hands up to his mouth, and kissed his knuckles one by one.

"Huh? Oh! I'm okay," Jimin assured, giggling lightly as a smile crept onto his face. He cupped Yoongi's face and kissed his cheek — the warmth of his lips tingling the older's skin. Yoongi's body relaxed a little. Jimin motioned to the journal now resting in Yoongi's lap. "I'm just...highly confused as to what the hell I was writing about. I didn't know German by any chance? Because that's what it feels like trying to read this journal,"

Yoongi glanced down at the journal in his lap, and scanned the pages with a snort.

"Mon Coeur, you did not speak German, nor do I think you'd've had the patience to learn German back then. Teaching you to read and write was difficult enough; to do it in another language..." He picked up the book as another loud clap of thunder boomed outside. "-you simply were an atrocious speller,"

"Spell atrocious,"

"A-T-R-"

"Min Yoongi! I didn't mean literally!"