twenty-three

twenty-three

_____ 🌿 _____

"YOU SEEM DISTRACTED,"

Jimin's eyes flickered upwards, meeting his with a soft expression. Distracted wasn't the word he would have used, but yeah, he was distracted.

The two of them were seated in another part of the garden; a small greenhouse made entirely out of glass, encasing them in a clear dome like structure that resembled a similar shape to that of the skylight that covered the length of the hallway. Inside was filled with all sorts of ivy plants and vines. It was as equally beautiful as it was green. He didn't know how much time had passed; he was too focused on the ground as he lost himself in his thoughts.

"Sorry," he mumbled softly. "'M just thinking s'all,"

"About what?" Yoongi asked, in a tone that was just as soft. The melodic sound of his voice was like music to Jimin's ears. The younger let out a sigh and swallowed the lump in his throat.

"I should be freaking out right now," Jimin stated. "It's not everyday that the man you've been dreaming about for almost four years suddenly turns out to be a real person; that your dreams are based on actual events from a past life, and instead of freaking out like a normal human being, I feel...uncomfortably calm," he explained, briefly looking away from the older. "The natural response would be to run away and never look back, but instead I feel drawn to you. I'll admit that I was upset to find that you weren't in bed with me when I woke up this morning. I wanted you to be there, but you weren't. I thought maybe I had been dreaming. That you were gone. And I felt incredibly empty. But when I saw you in the garden, and suddenly, everything felt whole. Like I'd found my missing piece. I can't explain why I feel this way but..."

Yoongi seemed hesitant as he reached his hand out. For a second, he thought about cupping the side of his face, but at the last minute, settled for placing his hand on his knee. "Need I remind you that we are - were - married," he replied gently. " Your subconscious recognizes that I'm not a threat, but because you don't remember anything, you can't explain your feelings,"

"That's right," Jimin murmured. "I asked you to marry me,"

From the corner of his eye, he could see Yoongi's expression change. He frowned, but he didn't seem upset. His eyebrows knitted together, and his eyes narrowed.

"You remember that?" Yoongi's voice was almost inaudible and Jimin wouldn't have caught it if it weren't for the fact that his pitch had spiked. Jimin swallowed while nodding his head.

"Well...I wasn't sure to be completely honest. I dreamt about it last night and wanted to ask you about it. A-and the remodeling," he added. "At least...I think you remodeled," Jimin babbled.

"You're remembering," Yoongi whispered, more so to himself. Jimin didn't hear him and continued.

"To be honest, I'm a little uncomfortable. Everything is different. I miss the way it used to look which sounds absurd because I can barely remember what it used to look like to begin with. I just know it makes me uncomfortable,"

Yoongi couldn't help but laugh. "Of all the things..." he mused. It was the remodeling?

Silence fell over them, and for several minutes, the two of them sat there facing each other, but not speaking. It was simultaneously hot and cold within the greenhouse; shade from the clouds that had rolled in from off the coast now covered a majority of it. Jimin wondered when the rain would start - and when it did - would it reach this far up.

He took a minute to study his face and wondered how on earth this man was even real. His features were soft and smooth - his skin fragile like glass or porcelain - but whenever he cocked his head to the side, he could easily make out the sharpness of his jaw and the coldness of his eyes. Yet even as they stared him down - the inky pools of near black mixed with navy blues - Jimin had never felt more at peace. No Jimin finally decided. He couldn't be real. He has to be inhuman.