six

"You're backing out?" came Hoseok's shrill, whining voice through Jimin's phone speaker. Jimin cringed at the tone, jerking his phone away from his ear as his roommate's voice pierced the air. "But I thought you loved playing with Mickey!"

"I do," Jimin insisted, returning his phone to his ear.

Jimin stood outside the bathroom, his face flushed pink. Several other students surrounded him in the open hall, all mingling with their friends or rushing past with lowered heads to get to their classes.

"But I have to -" He caught himself, shaking his head. Clearing his throat, Jimin smoothly corrected himself, "Today's just a bad day. I have something else I have to do."

There was silence from Hoseok's end of the call. Jimin could tell his friend was trying to analyze him and was glad they weren't standing in front of one another. Hoseok had moments where his observant eyes picked up on subtle body language and could read the thoughts behind a gaze, and Jimin wasn't in the mood to be studied.

Finally, Hoseok asked slowly, "This doesn't have anything to do with that... trio, does it?"

Jimin stiffened, his eyes darting around to glance at the people surrounding him. He noticed a few watching him and he instinctively straightened his posture under their gaze. There were a few moments, such as this one, where he wished people wouldn't look at him. Where he wasn't ready to be stared at, where he could provide no satisfaction to their hungry eyes.

Jimin forced himself to laugh, something icy and tight in his chest. "What led you to that idea? You really think I'd give suckers like them the time of my day?" He hid his wince, the lie tasting so bitter on his tongue.

Thankfully, Hoseok chuckled. He didn't even catch onto Jimin completely dodging his question. "Fine. Just be back at the apartment before it gets too late, yeah? I'm making dinner tonight!"

Jimin nodded, a genuine beam on his lips. "Sure thing. I'll text you when I'm heading back."

They exchanged brief farewells, and then Jimin returned his device to his pocket. He glanced down the long pathway that led to the courtyard. Back where the library was located.

Jimin shifted his weight on his feet, stuffing his hands in his pockets. Was he really going to do this? Was he going to sign away his body to three different guys? Let them do whatever they wanted to him, whenever they wanted? Even if he could get their word on protecting him, there were better ways to go about this.

Jimin's hands clenched in his pockets. He didn't need this.

With his chin held high, he turned around and walked away.

-

The library was almost completely empty. No one noticed him weaving down the aisles, passing by books that got older, dustier, and less cared for the further back he moved. 

Jimin stood in front of the door to the same study as before, breathing deeply as he grappled with his courage. He wasn't about to underestimate any of the Kims again. Seokjin and Taehyung both have now had way too much control over Jimin's body and emotions. He wasn't about to let that happen again.