28. child of the dark

Previously

"You were out for a couple of days."
His voice...
Y/N stands, but then wobbles and the man who is not Atsumu rushes to her, "You have a fever again!?"
Her eyes dilate and her head feels as if it might explode, "This can't be real. I- I didn't. I never. This isn't real," she whispers.

Kita sits with his grandmother, who weaves a basket and hums gently while he reads. This was a tradition of theirs, while she weaves, he reads. And they sit in peaceful silence, the breeze carrying the lovely soft hums of his grandmother.

"Grandma?"

His grandmother stops humming and looks up from her work, "Yes Dear?"

"Can you tell me the story again?"

She chuckles, a light and airy sound, the crickets in the background and the creaking of the old house as if it was breathing in and out, basking in the summer breeze. This is his home. Living with grandmother had always been home, warm and safe.

His grandmother put the piece down and pat her lap. Kita, small and seven, did as he always did. He put his black and white-haired head on her lap so that she could brush it while she told him the story.

Kita's favorite story.

His grandmother's fingers weaved through his hair as she began.

"Once upon a time, a very, very long time ago....

A child fell from the stars. It was midnight, and nothing in the countryside was awake beside the moon. The moon, concerned for the child, told the winds to find people to help her. And the winds did so, finding a kind childless couple in a village nearby, leading them to the child.

There, a small girl slept, cradled by the grass, moonlight shining on her skin.

The husband of the couple went to pick the child up, but to his dismay, her skin was cold, far too cold for a child. Her skin's temperature bit his hand like frostbite, like a freeze burn, so much so he could not bear to touch her skin with his bare hand.