221

The space wasn't very big, and it was very dusty. For a building so centre in Diagonally Astrid did have to admit she was surprised. Theo though couldn't have been more excited.

The current owner had stepped out for just a moment to have a smoke (honestly, Astrid was under the impression the man didn't even care about selling the place all that much) and Theo had instantly taken over, moving about the space with newfound vigour. He lifted the plastic covers off the counter and kicked the glass of a broken display counter aside. He took a step back to look at the entrance of the square room, the two covered windows on either side of the door, then turned and walked backwards to see the other side. His lips moved in silent words as he turned on his axis, almost tripping over a loose plank that had come from only Merlin knew where. The place was a ruin, no doubt, but for wizards like them, it wouldn't be a hard fix-up.

"I can see it," Theo said, his eyes glistening with excitement. "This is it. I can see it, Ash."

She didn't know what it was he saw, but she nodded nevertheless. Then, she shook her head.

"You haven't even seen the back."

"I don't care," Theo shook his head. "We're getting this place."

"It's a ruin."

"It's beautiful."

Astrid looked around, turning timidly, hoping not to stain her shoes. She still stood by the door and reached out to touch one of the drape-like window covers. Her finger came back with a layer of dust.

"If you say so," she huffed a breath that much resembled a laugh and stepped forward on her tippy toes. "I'll go check out the back."

It was, after all, Theo's choice to make for she didn't intend to cosign the lease with the young man. She wanted him to own it for himself since it was his business, but another reason she hadn't told him was also that she didn't want to be tied to the place, in case she ever decided she didn't want to work with him anymore.

For the past two weeks, Theo and Astrid had been meeting up, talking business, and then spending a good 40 per cent of that time goofing off. Luckily, even with that, they had been able to come to a decision. Astrid had convinced Theo that no wonder his products weren't selling for he didn't even have a proper shop. Things might've worked that way in Hogwarts, ear-to-ear deals and selling, but in the real world, people were usually much smarter and way less trusting. So she told him he had to get a place, and make that into his shop and possibly also an inventory and a workshop. She would be his advisor, she could work by the counter for some time until they got bigger, and then maybe one day he'd be able enough to work on his own. Or not. Astrid hadn't yet made up her mind. All she knew was that at the moment it felt rather nice being around Theo again. As cheesy as it sounds, he made her world look a little less miserable.

Ignoring Theo calling her tasteless and pessimistic, she walked through the room and through a door into another one at the back. The door creaked, its hinges probably not oiled in years, as she opened and closed it. The back didn't look much different, the light was faint as all the windows were covered, and when Astrid thought of lighting a candle to see better she quickly stopped herself as she realised that could very easily end in a disaster, considering the oldness and the dryness of the room. Instead, Astrid went over to pull the covers off the windows to hopefully let some light into the room. It was noon on a cloudless day so she hoped natural light would be enough.

It did. And when it did Astrid's eyes widened in silent delight. A larger space had two smaller rooms on each side of it. One of them had a wall with a hole in it, and Astrid moved toward it intrigued. There was just enough room for a small office. A horizontal, rectangular window ran right along the ceiling and when Astrid crouched by one of the walls, she was surprised that she could actually see the sky past the other Diagon Alley buildings. Standing up, it provided light and showed other buildings, and that part wasn't too pretty, but Astrid fell in love with it a wee bit anyway, because even if she could see the outside, nobody, unless they jumped to peek in, would be able to see her. When it snowed, she'd be able to watch the flakes float down in visible awe, and nobody would be there to judge her for it. In the little, dirty, broken room, Astrid felt safe.