Year 7 - 192

Astrid was getting cocky again. Seeing Draco turning Astoria down had brought up her spirits and given her a momentary spark of confidence. Sitting in the common room, waiting, she chuckled to herself at how silly it had been she had thought Astoria could ever hold a higher rank in Draco's mind. 

It wasn't just that he always kept returning to her, no matter what. Astrid was quite literally the face of their Lord in the press; soon, as His whispers told her, she would be able to rule alongside Him. Power, influence, looks - she had it all. Nothing could be better than that.

Some... just couldn't understand that.

It was trice now Draco had pushed Astoria away. The inane girl couldn't catch a hint and it was embarrassing to watch. 

When Astoria finally descended the stairs from the dormitories for a possible bathroom venture, Astrid wanted to show the girl what her man had thought with all the 'no'. She didn't even know how it happened. Her insides had burned with fresh intensity, her hand twitching at her wand. One moment she was leaning back in her seat cockily, calling out at the girl from across the room, until all of a sudden she was right there in her face, looming over the girl.

He will never give the smallest crap about you. You will never be good enough.
It's all your fault that he despises you because you can't even say 'no' to your parents.
Never will you be happy in this marriage, so don't even try.
Whatever you've come to believe you are, you are way less.

Astoria had run back to her room in tears. 

For a moment, Astrid had smiled and sat back down on the couch satisfied. She was just being honest. After all, the younger girl should've come to her senses earlier or later anyway.

That was until she heard another set of footsteps storming down to the Slytherin common room. Astrid had been staring at the fireplace when the loud slam of hands against the small coffee table startled her. The small wooden thing rattled in its place and the sound echoed against the high ceiling as Astrid turned to meet the light blue eyes of Daphne Greengrass.

"Look, Astrid," she stood up and clasped her hands loudly when she had gained the girl's attention, "you can be an arse all you want, but you will not. be mean. towards my sister." The anger appeared to be rolling off of her in an avalanche, the frustration showing in every smallest twitch of her hands. "I can tolerate a lot," she shook her head, "but I will not tolerate this."

Astrid huffed. "I was doing her a favour."

"You," Daphne stomped her foot, "are not the only one going through shit right now! Pull your daft head out of your arse and open your eyes!"

Again, Astrid huffed, this breath resembling more a laugh. "Look who's talking."

Daphne didn't even look offended. "At least I can see when I'm being an arse. You are so lost in your delusions you-" She stopped herself. Daphne shook her head, this time taking a step back. "You're not even listening to me..."

Astrid cocked her head. "I am listening-"

"You are not hearing what I'm saying! I-" she groaned and turned away. "You know, never mind. I don't know why I even bothered."

Astrid only leaned back in her armchair, raising a brow at her retreating friend. Because what else was she to do? She had only saved the younger Greengrass from further embarrassment, hadn't she?

Though as time went on, a sick feeling seeped into her gut. Watching the fire, she repeated the scene in her head, remembering her words, watching the reactions of the other. She thought and judged, and concluded her actions didn't even make much sense. What was her goal? What good did any of it do to her?