Chapter 15: Fired Up

[Regular POV]

Marquis walked in his room. He looked in the mirror. That beating that he got from Marcus was still showing on his face but it was beginning to heal. He touched it and as it stung he was filled with anger.

“Imma seriously hurt that lil' bitch.” Marquis mumbled to himself. He got himself ready and walked downstairs. His mother was laying on the couch with a half bottle of Hennessey. Marquis shook his head and walked out the door.

His mom stopped him. “Where the hell you going? You ain't ask nobody could you leave. ”

Marquis growled. “I'm 18 remember? I don't have to ask for permission. ”

His mother froze with rage. “Boy who do you think you are? I will get yo dadd-”

Fuck him momma! Why the hell can't you ever handle me by yourself? Maybe if you stopped drinking so much and smoking all the time, maybe yo addicted ass would know how to be a good parent!”

“ You will not disrespect me in my own home. I am a good parent.”

Marquis laughed. “You a good parent? So a good parent smokes and drinks in the house wit' they child?  A good parent let's they husband beat they kid? A good parent doesn't ask 'how was yo day' or anything? Or even ask about my bruises cause I know a good parent would've seen it.”

His mom shook her head and a tear fell out of her eye.“Marquis please get out. "

“Are you just mad that I'm finally telling you how it is? ”

“GET THE HELL OUT!” she yelled and pointed to the door. Marquis started to stay, but it would only cause more commotion. He grabbed him some things and walked out the door.

He groaned and walked down the street going nowhere. He was about three blocks down when he saw a familiar car drive down the street and pull beside him. They rolled down their window and smiled at him. “Aye Quise where you headed?”

Marquis shook his head. “My momma kicked me out. I don't know where I'm going. ”

The man sat there and thought about it. “Well I guess you can come and kick it with me for a while. ”

“Thanks Mark.” Marquis opened the car door and got in. Mark pulled off.

The ride was silent. Mark looked over at Marquis. “You cool man? ”

Marquis couldn't get any of it out of his mind. First he losses his parent,s then he lost Athena, and now his reputation at school is ruined. “Yeah man I'm cool. It's just a little hard right now. ”

“Well you gone get through it. What happened to that girl you was wit'- Ashley?" he asked Marquis.

“Athena.” He corrected him,“But we broke up. She got a new man now.”

“And how you feel bout that? ”

“I'm cool man. You know I don't stay wit girls that long anyways.” Marquis fake laughed.

Mark could could tell he was hurt but didn't want to call him out.“Look man, if you really love her you gotta fight for what chu want. You ever hear 'all fair in love and war'? Well yeah, you gotta live by it. ”

Marquis nodded his head. “Yeah alright. ”

Marquis fell asleep for a little while. When he woke up Mark was pulling up to his house. It was hard to believe that such a hood gangster boy would have a house this big but then Marquis remembered what Mark does.

They got out of the car. Marquis looked around at the house again. He could obviously see a pool in the backyard and beside it was a hot tub. Marquis thought of finally relaxing and not having to worry about his problems for a few days.