Chapter 8

Besloe's POV (surprise)

There are other people living in my house.

A hundred other voices in my head, yet none is mine. At first, I could hear it but now I feel as though the incoherent mumble of the other voices has drowned it out. Barely any thoughts I think sometimes is mine. Stuck in a mental dungeon and unable to escape. My eyes see and my mouth speaks but sometimes it's not my brain controlling this. It's them. The institute. If I ever escape this mental coffin they have buried me alive in I will kill them, everyone of them. I will bury them alive, so they finally understand what it feels like to be imprisoned by the mephitic will of someone else. I swear.

When I found King, I wanted to run away. She left me, abandoned me with them. I may not know what happened, but I know I had been shot and I remember being in the ambulance with that hypocrite. I remember waking up alone in a white room and wires attached to me. You are probably thinking hospital. No. Science lab. And I was the rat. They pricked and prodded my brain, 15 hours a day, I slept for 5 and trained harder than I have ever trained for the remaining time. I was pushed off the precipice of sanity and plunged into the cold waters of madness. They told me she left me alone. That she was never coming back and that I was to be part of a new program of assassins. I knew they were brainwashing me yet their truth about King took me the longest to accept. She was my best friend, my sister. That witch. I vowed to make her feel the pain she made me feel when she left me to the scientist.

Then Tironai. My dear brother. I never hated my brother and I had always planned to go back to get him after I had sorted out everything. I didn't want to plunge us both into hardship, but I guess I forgot to realise that nothing was worse than were he was. I only saw half of how our parents treated him though the few moments I managed to steal a glimpse of haunted me. I should've taken him, but I guess everyone in the institute has a habit of leaving you to die. Hmm, maybe King leaving me was my well-deserved karma for leaving Tironai, but then again, I think getting captured by the Perfide was enough rebuttal to cleanse me of every bad deed I had ever done.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when someone bellowed my name. All at once my head was flooded with images and plans and words that were not mine. The chip. It was the most effective way of giving me information quickly.

Be a double agent and follow Kingide and her friend. Report everything back to us.

In summary, that was it. It seemed like an easy enough task, but the tricky bit was getting them to trust me again. I wouldn't blame if they never did again, I don't even trust myself.

I ambled outside to the other side of the building where the underground incinerator ends. I saw them come out and drag themselves onto land. King's shirt fell off and the marks that littered her back made my eyes open, not just because of the small burns but because of the whip marks and the other varied ways of assault that has been inflicted on her. The dark scars sucked me into a flashback. She carried me on her back when my legs gave out, when my arms could no longer move. She sacrificed her own dinner just so she made sure I arrived at the lunch hall on time. I held my head in pain, no, she left me. That's all that matters. All her seemingly kind gestures when we were younger are simply history and became redundant as soon as she decided to give me up to the cruellest people on earth.

I stepped forward to reveal myself. "Besloe..." King breathed in as soon as she noticed me. "How funny finding you to here" I said with a sly smirk. Tironai immediately assumed a battle position, this caused a wild cackle to erupt through me. "Oh please, I'm not going to fight you Tironai. I'm here to show you the way off the grounds" I voiced, the sceptical look from King and the dead look from Tironai served as a response to my kind gesture. "Never call me Tironai again or I will burn you like I did the people that named me that". He spat back, a deadly look swirling into his eyes.