Was it worth it? (Nanu)

Context: This was one of the prompts for the angst/horror event that I received.

"You have a lot of nerve showing up here." There was no point in hiding the bitterness behind his voice once the detective showed up at his doorstep. Unbeknownst to everyone who showed up at the motel, he was probably the only one internally scowling at the lows the International Police were hitting. They just can't seem to understand nor learn from their mistakes, can they?

"Your place or—"
"In general."

A heavy sigh escaped the younger man's lips as his eyes shifted downwards in guilt. "I had no control over these beasts showing up... If Aether Foundation hadn't opened up those Ultra Wormholes, this could have been avoided." Nanu laughed dryly at the reply he was given. It wasn't just that he was peeved about.

"I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about how you were keen on letting someone exposed to Ultra Space lure in those monsters. Must be the IP's favorite strategy to use. Thought you of all people would at least question them for trying this stunt again." You don't even know it either, unless you're incredibly good at hiding your suspicions on this whole mess. You were sometimes hard to read.

There was a brief pause between them. Nanu knew the face Looker was making; it was the one he made when piecing together clues or evidence during his investigations. He watched as the man's brown eyes flickered around, as if putting everything into place. Then, they lit up and widened slightly. "This is about Y/N, isn't it?"

The officer titled his head, "And? What if it is? Were you willing to let them go out there to just be bait as well?" He intentionally put emphasis on the last words of his question, knowing it would hit close to home. "Did you even tell them?"

Another brief silence cut through as the Kahuna let out a bitter chuckle, "Of course. The IP can't afford to lose sight of another faller; gotta keep them close for when they're needed. Is that right?" This attitude should be reserved to the International Police itself, but this will have to do for now. Besides, they don't deserve a breath of his time.

Looker couldn't respond back to that question or to anything the kahuna had said. How could he? As much as he knows the lengths that the International Police has taken to lure the Ultra Beasts, he could have done something. Anything. So why didn't he?

Nanu's voice broke him out of the thought process he was stuck in. He hadn't noticed that the older man had walked through the sleeping Meowth and bits of trash on the floor. Was the place always this messy?

There was something in the older officer's voice that he couldn't pinpoint on. Was it malice? Or... Pain? "When they died, I felt as if I died with them." He harshly jabbed Looker's chest just to give more impact on those words. Along with that, Nanu's eyes held a lot of other unspoken emotions, ones that he would not share and keep until he bursts.

The detective's composure almost faltered and crumbled right then and there, but it wouldn't change anything. Neither would his words. "...I'm deeply sorry for your loss..."