Chapter 5 - Night Terrors

Start from the beginning

Noah chuckles. "I guess so."

The food arrives, and we all dig in.

However, my concentration is broken when a shout comes from beside me.

"Guys, look! Snow!" Adam is excitedly bouncing up and down in his seat and pointing out the window. I don't think I've ever seen a bigger smile.

I laugh. "Yep, that's snow, all right."

"I LOVE snow! Love, love, love, love, love!"

Noah chuckles. "Clearly."

Adam sticks his tongue out at him, but can't keep a straight face.

"Why do you love snow so much?" James asks stupidly, and I can tell that this is going to be awhile.

- Thirty Minutes Later -

Noah POV

We continue slowly down the road, and I know this isn't gonna work. We are currently in the middle of a snowstorm.

"Adam, we're going to have to go to our place. Are you okay with spending the night?" I ask him, though we both know there isn't much of a choice.

"Yeah, okay." He says, looking straight down at the floor. I can see panic in his eyes, but decide not to push it.

Daniel turns the car, and we begin the slow drive to our apartment.

- An Hour Later -

We finally enter our apartment, tumbling onto the couch. I'd love to just sit here forever, but I feel that I should probably show Adam where he's gonna sleep. I tell him to follow me, and take him down the short hallway.

I open the door to my room.

"This is my room. You can sleep in here tonight, if you're comfortable with it. I'll be in James' room, the door behind us. That okay?"

He nods, then looks towards the living room, where it seems the others are turning on a movie.

"C'mon, let's go." I tell him, and we go sit down.

- Two Hours Later -

The movie finally ends, and Adam stands up.

"Just so you know, the bathroom's down the other hall on the left." I call after him, getting up as well.

"Okay, thanks." He replies, entering my room.

I head to bed as well, lying down next to James, who went to bed earlier.

- Later -

I am awoken from my dream by...

Crying?

I lay for a few minutes, hoping the sound will go away on it's own, to no avail. I finally force myself out of James' bed, following the sound.

My questions are answered as I look down the hallway, where I can see the silouette of Adam, curled up on the floor against the arm of the couch, crying.

Now completely awake, I walk a few steps down the hallway, trying to get a closer look. I can see that he is holding a phone to his ear, whimpering things to the person on the other end.

"Please... I'm sorry... I won't... Please don't... Please... Please don't... I'm sorry..."

I walk over and slip the phone out of his hand. He looks up at me in a panic as I put the phone up to my ear. The person on the other end is clearly drunk.

"I give you CHANCE after CHANCE and-"

"Who is this?" I ask, my tone serious.

"Who the FUCK are YOU?"

"That is none of your concern. Who is this?"

"WHO are YOU and WHAT are you doing with HIM?" The person screams.

I hang up the phone and sit down next to the sobbing, disheveled figure.

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry..."

I put my arm around him and rub his shoulder.

"Shh... Calm down... It's okay."

We sit there for a while, him crying and leaning on me, me doing my best to calm him down, until he finally falls asleep.

I carry him back to my bed and tuck him under the covers, then go back to lying next to James.

I don't get any sleep.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Words: 1102