19 - Pictures of You

Start from the beginning

She'd almost forgotten to put on a necklace.

Walking over to a chest of drawers, she pulled open the one that she'd been keeping all of her jewellery in. She held up the one that Klaus got her as an apology gift after Nathan and Elena almost drove her off wickery bridge.

Staring closely at the gorgeous piece of jewellery, a flicker of emotion passed through Ariana's eyes, but it was gone as quick as it came. She went to clasp it around her neck, but halted before she could.

She didn't want anyone to see the necklace and think that Klaus was her weakness. He wasn't! He was just a scared little boy to her, running from his own step-father all his life like some coward, and that was all that Ariana saw in him.

So, sighing in frustration, Ariana carelessly dropped the necklace back into the drawer before picking up another one. This one was silver and red, so it matched perfectly with her red dress.

Nodding to herself, Ariana clasped the necklace around her neck, slid on her heels, grabbed her jacket and her purse, and left the house, heading to the party.

---

---

As Ariana entered the prom, alone, she wrinkled her nose up in disgust at all of the pictures surrounding her. Caroline, who had organised everything, had decided to go for a photo-yearbook theme. As Ariana walked further down the passage, she stopped when she came across a photo including her.

Turning curiously towards it, Ariana noticed that it was a picture of her and Elena. Their mom had taken it on their first day of freshman year that morning. They looked so young and innocent, oblivious to the supernatural... they were human, with a huge lack of responsibility, and they were... normal. Ariana thought they both just looked pathetic.

Footsteps approached her, and Ariana knew immediately that it was Elena

Footsteps approached her, and Ariana knew immediately that it was Elena. They both stayed silent, staring at the photo of them together, before Elena broke the silence.

"You seem quiet. This brings back a lot of memories, doesn't it?"

"Not really. I was just thinking about how much prettier you looked back then." Ariana shrugged nonchalantly, causing Elena to frown.