18 - American Gothic

Start from the beginning

"How long have we known each other?"

"It's... been a while. I can't remember."

"Where do my sister and I live? Where do we work?"

"I don't know."

"Who do we spend time with, apart from eachother? Do you know where my sister is right now?"

"She should be around here somewhere. You two are never too far apart from eachother."

"Do we have any friends?"

"Well, you said we could all be friends with you, as long as we kept your secret."

"What secret?"

But then, the girl grew confused once more.

"I-I don't know..."

---

Rebekah and Ariana were walking over to a postal worker outside the post office.

"Hey, excuse me, um..." Ariana approached him. "Do I have any mail today?"

"What happened to your hair?" The man asked. Ariana shrugged nonchalantly.

"Not like it's any of your business but it is just a little dye."

"You dyed it in the last two minutes? And where did your sister go? Wasn't she with you?" The man questioned, which caught Ariana's attention.

"My sister and I were here two minutes ago?"

"Are you feeling okay, Miss Pierce?" The man asked, concerned.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Um, thanks." Ariana smiled fakely. The man nodded and walked away. Ariana turned to face Rebekah. "They were both here two minutes ago. That means that they can't be that far. Um... how about you check inside? I'll look in the parking lot."

"Okay." Rebekah nodded.

They left in different directions. Ariana walked over to the parking lot. She saw a girl with dark curly hair in a black car. Thinking it could be either Madeline or Katherine, she hid behind a van. From her hiding place, she watched the girl, but the girl got out of a car and it was not either of the Pierce twins. Ariana relaxed.

Suddenly, someone grabbed Ariana from behind and shoved her against the van. Madeline had Ariana pinned by the neck.

"I'm impressed. I never thought you'd find Kat and I here." Madeline started choking Ariana. "Oh, well. It's a beautiful place to die."

From behind, Rebekah grabbed Madeline's neck and pushed her to the ground.

"I couldn't agree more. You've chosen a beautiful place to die."

Ariana smiled smugly, Rebekah smirked sarcastically, and Madeline's face remained emotionless. She'd had no humanity since 1864, after all.

"I suggest you don't touch my sister again." Another voice piped up. Katherine sauntered over from behind a car. Vamp speeding over, Katherine pulled Madeline up to her feet.

"You took your time." Madeline said to her twin. Katherine simply smirked in response.

---

Rebekah was sitting next to Ariana and opposite Katherine, while Madeline sat beside Katherine and opposite Ariana inside a diner.

"Where are the cures?" Ariana demanded.

"What? No 'I'm here to avenge my annoying little brother' speech?" Katherine smirked tauntingly. Ariana glanced at her, but her expression didn't change from nonchalant.