Chapter 19 | inside

A/n: this book isn't dead it's just a side project rather than a main line like my other L books. Plus I don't want to spread misinformation or anything so it takes a little longer to write chapters so I can go through them and make sure things are as accurate as possible.

Different alters had different levels of access to the headspace, some could navigate it well, some could barely move around in it. The one that had the best access by far was Coil as they spends so much time in there. L and Ryuzaki were much more limited in comparison as their roles were more centred in being in the front.

So if anything was up with the headspace, Coil would be the first to know. Any new locations or people would be on their radar very quickly. And with just how stressful this case had been there'd been so much activity in the system lately it made Coil a bit hyper vigilant.

Ryuga had been around for a while, but he became more active recently. Deneuve was more recent and likely came about when the case started to get more stressful. And coil, they'd been around deep in the headspace for ages but never actually became active until recently. In the span of this case, three alters have become fully fledged functional fronting alters. If that didn't speak volumes on how stressful the case was, then they didn't know what did.

Thankfully they had decent communication with each other, and you were there to help. But coil couldn't help but feel a little uneasy, now that Light knew of the system and had actively tried to trigger them, there was a reason to be worried. Not to mention the anxiety of waiting on a reply from wammys about the plan.

There was one section of the headspace that coil did their best to keep the others away from. They called it 'the void' as it was a dark almost space like area at the bottom of a long set of stairs where all the trauma memories, fragments and other stressful things were kept. They especially didn't want Deneuve back there, he was so young and easily scared it'd be a bad idea.

But lately coil has been keeping a close eye on it, if anything were to happen due to the stress or trauma of the case, they were sure it'd be coming from the void.

"Coil?"

Snapping from their daze, sitting by the hallway that lead to the void to watch it, coil looked up.

"Oh, hello sweetheart! What's the matter?" They said.

It was Deneuve, who'd come looking for them.

"L's in the front and Ryuzaki is too busy working. Can you come play with me and Ryuga we need three players?" He asked.

Coil glanced back at the hallway, and even though he was uneasy, it didn't seem like anything would happen today. So why not?

"Alright, I'll come play. What's L doing in the front?" They replied.

"Working I think. All you big kids to is work!"

"We need to make sure the system is safe and the case is solved you know"

"I know but it's so booorrriiinngggg!"

They couldn't blame a kid for thinking all the important grown up stuff was boring, his job was to have fun and destress anyway.

L could distantly hear this going on while he was in the front, work as usual as the taskforce prepared a plan of action to get Higuchi arrested. Things were going well on that end so far, hopefully thing's didn't get any worse than they already were. A notification popped up on his laptop, and when he clicked it it was none other than that email from wammys he'd been waiting on.

Interest peaked, he eagerly read it over feeling Ryuzakis presence in co-consciousness to read it too.

To their relief and excitement, under the watchful eye of roger and Watari the successors were in. They'd be the ones to hold the weapon under lock and key in a whole other country so light and Misa couldn't get to it. L reached over and tapped your shoulder, getting your attention and gesturing to the screen so the taskforce wouldn't notice you and him interacting.

You leaned over and read the email, immediately exited to see that the plan was working so far. All that was left was to get that weapon off Higuchi and avoid Lights attempts at triggering the system as best as you can. Misa didn't seem like a threat, she was pretty oblivious to the fact L was a system. So it was just Light they had to worry about at the moment.

Plus... even if Misa is the second Kira she's a whole heap nicer than Light. She suffers trauma herself so you couldn't imagine her deliberately trying to trigger someone unless Light was the one who manipulated her into it. Sure she was definitely a sketchy person but she had SOME morals, unlike Light.

It was kind of like how people in prison will beat up those who've harmed children. They may have committed murder, robbery, arson and whatnot but even they have some morals and will take a stand against the worst of the worst. Misa may be the second kira, but you couldn't imagine her trying to hurt someone who's suffered traumas like she had.

"I knew I could count on them" L whispered to you.

"I've never met them but from what you guys have told me they sound trustworthy" you replied.

"All we need to do get this weapon of Higuchi, hopefully we can get to that soon so we can make sure light doesn't get anywhere near it"

"I'll keep an eye on him, if he dares try tigger you guys again... I'm throwing hands"

He gave you a smile, once a rare sight from the body but now you knew the system better you saw those beautiful smiles more often.

"I knew we could count on yo-"

He paused for a second, listening to something in the headspace and then sighed.

"Ryuga says he'll help you throw hands" L sighed playfully.

You snickered, knowing something like that would happen.

"Of course he would, I don't expect him to do anything else"

"Aaannddd now he's getting told off by Ryuzaki" L added.

"Unsurprising" you laughed.

Their banter was funny sometimes, at least they can say even with a wild ride of a disorder that funny things can happen from time to time.