P.Y Prince x F. Princess x Y. Prince

A man of esteemed position sat with eight of his nine sons. They looked up at their father, some with looks of respect, others with boredom, and one of them even circled his finger along the carpet, attempting to entertain himself. The man, with a crown perched upon his combed raven hair, looked upon all of his children with adoration. With soft eyes, he spoke in a deep and calming voice, telling them the story of a long time ago.

"A sorceress?" one of the boys questioned, leaning forward with a tilt of his head.

"That's right, a sorceress. She was the most powerful one I've ever met, so strong she could change the shape of the moon. And should you have doubted her, she would have done so."

The man, with a portrait in his hands, turned it to face the boys sitting in front of him. A woman with short (h/c) hair stood tall and proud, covered from head to toe with yellow and golden fabric, the sign of gifted magical ability. Behind her stood the gleaming form of the man holding the portrait, his hand on her right shoulder. It appeared as though it was a painting of a husband and wife, but the truth was far from such a conclusion. If anything, it was a piece of art for two close companions.

"Yes, she was quite terrifying at times!" the man chuckled, using one hand to hold his stomach, "She was quite blunt, too, used to call me a...Well, I shouldn't say in front of you."

"Imperial father," one of the boys hummed, narrowing his eyes slightly, "If this woman insulted someone as noble as you, should she not be shamed?"

"Ah - Yes, ordinarily, but Bai Li is a special case. You see, she saved my life."

The looks of the man's children changed drastically. Even the one scribbling on the carpet seemed to gaze up, curious to hear the details of such a legendary feat. After all, their father was not fragile, skilled in the sword and strategy. To hear he was in such a position even he couldn't deal with was shocking enough, but supposedly, some foreign woman managed to surpass his own abilities? They were in awe, the younger ones' eyes sparkling with expectation while the older ones simply smirked, having heard the story before at least once.

"The battle we had with the Tao was a lengthy one, and it caused much despair in both sides. When we pushed them back, on the verge of victory, we were careless. We lowered our guard, and, in a last attempt to strike a blow to us, a small group of assassins rushed our base in the middle of the night. When a dagger was about to place a blow to my heart, Bai Li appeared. With a snap of her finger and a glow of bright blue light, she dealt with them all, saving my life."

"Then shouldn't she have a reward?!" one boy asked excitedly.

"No, she should be here in the imperial city!" another grinned.

"Actually, imperial father, I've always wondered why Bai Li didn't become the empress," the first son smiled gently, his younger brothers gasping in realization, "May we hear why?"

"Ha, she would never want such a fate! Becoming empress! I can't even imagine it! But I did offer her the position. A good ruler knows talent beyond social standing, after all. Yet she refused. I knew she would. She's always been a wanderer, a nomad of sorts, free-spirited and self-focused. Ruling an empire would have never suited her. And besides, she fell in love with Hao Feng. You know him as Emperor Feng, the ruler of an empire to the north."

"Is that so?!" the third son gasped, placing his hand over his mouth, "Emperor Feng, your closest ally?!"

"Not an ally, a friend. When she confessed to him - rudely - the two eloped away from the eyes of the imperial court. And then they had a daughter."

The boys nodded, though most didn't understand what "elope" meant past running away. Of course, most - save for the youngest - knew that the Feng emperor had returned to his post as the supreme ruler of the northern empire. He was a wise man, but a stern one, a man that could raise a loyal maid to a noble or demean the head of the foreign affairs department to a commoner. So he was regarded as an emperor that valued his citizens above all. To hear that he had a daughter with a commoner was not surprising.