(Primary) Elemental Series: M. Phoenix x F. Framed Reader

Winter had been lasting far longer than anyone had anticipated. The gods were outraged by the continual wars and inflicted a curse on the land. All over the world, an eternal winter broke out, leaving countless to die. If not for the freezing climate, the starvation that it brought caused numerous to suffer. The people were weak and unable to survive, especially the poor. While the nobility were able to expend great money to raise plants in a warm environment, commoners were not so lucky.

In particular, a (h/c) haired girl was struggling. She was working in the Southern Kingdom for the tyrannous king. Most believed he was responsible for the frigid climate inflicted on them, especially due to his greedy nature. Even before the curse, he had been siphoning away his people's funds and making them suffer in terror. Working in the castle with the same man was sure to give her great stress.

She didn't remember the last time she ate. Every day, the king and his family had giant feasts with every kind of food imaginable while the servants watched on with crippling hunger. If they were lucky, they could have gotten the scraps, but not without demeaning themselves. They were harmed, whipped, and even bled for no reason other than sheer enjoyment. It made the younger girl think. Obviously, something needed to be done.

However, it wasn't as if she could do something. She was weak from her hunger and didn't have that much physical strength in the first place. As such, she had given up any hope of her or anyone else being freed from the king's ruthless grasp. Sighing, she picked up the tea set he had requested and made her way to his chambers. The entire way, she shivered, wondering what he would do to her. Perhaps she wouldn't make it out alive.

Her shaky hands pushed open the doors to his room, the tray she carried crashing onto the floor. The king was dead. He was laying in a puddle of his own blood, long since gone from that world. It was obvious he had been murdered, but by who, she had no idea. The only thing she did know was that the noise had alerted guards, and immediately, they chased after her, believing her to be responsible for the dictator's death.

She could only run, knowing they wouldn't listen to her side of the story. Stumbling over her own feet, she ventured outside the castle grounds. That being said, they were unrelenting in chasing her, hunting her down to use her as a scapegoat. Her breath was visible in the freezing air, her body shivering uncontrollably. Without thinking, she ran into the forest, hoping they wouldn't follow after her.

Several hours passed and she was running out of energy, trudging through the ever-building snow. She shook, on the verge of passing out. Her vision became woozy, spinning at a nauseous rate. However, she was determined not to perish in the middle of nowhere. Perhaps if she could just find a cave, but alas, there were none in sight and she was reaching her limit. One, two, three steps, and her body collapsed, being buried by the falling snow.

(Y/n) was quickly freezing, hypothermia setting in. She could no longer move her body, having passed out in the snow for but a moment or two. Everything within her was suffering, slowly being encased by frost. Her fingertips were numb, as was the rest of her. The only thing she could manage to move was her eyes, but as she was unable to move her head, there was only a small portion of things she could see. Truth be told, it would have been a relief if a wolf had found her and put her out of her misery, but she wasn't so lucky. Or so she thought.

She saw but one thing in her peripherals, catching a glimpse of the sun. It had been so long since she had seen it, the sight bringing tears to her eyes that immediately turned to ice and clung to her frigid skin. Filled with relief, she let herself fade back into her slow death, passing out with warmth in her heart. Perhaps when she woke up, she would be in paradise, a shining sun peering down at the beautiful world below.

. . .

The (h/c) haired girl felt light caress her face, dancing along the walls of wherever she was and disturbing her sleep. Her eyes closed tightly as she tried to push it away and return to her peaceful slumber, but it was too bright. She slowly opened her (e/c) pupils to see a flame before her. There was a warm cape resting on her that shimmered brilliantly. It appeared to be made of flames itself, but it didn't burn her. Rather, it warmed her up and kept her feeling at ease.