Chapter 22

Jungkook helped Hoseok out of the car and smiled at Taehyung.  “Thanks, Tae.  I'll call you later, okay?”  he saw him frown and knew that he was thinking of canceling his meeting so he could stay with them at the hospital.

“Go,” Jungkook said firmly before Taehyung could open his mouth.  “Don't miss your meeting.  We'll be fine.  This is a hospital, and the hospital is a pretty safe place, don't you think?”

Taehyung gave a crooked smile and nodded.  “All right.  But make sure you call me.  I want to know everything.”

Hoseok grinned at him.  “Thanks for the ride, Taehyung.  I truly appreciate that you took time off your busy schedule to drive us to the hospital. I mean it.  But—we could just as easily have jumped into a cab...”

“I'll be here to pick you up,” Taehyung said sternly.  “You are not gonna take a cab by yourselves.”

Hoseok giggled and elbowed his brother.  “Your mate is sooooo protective.  He truly loves you.”

Jungkook blushed and made a face at Hoseok.  he closed the car door and waved as Taehyung drove off.  Taehyung glanced in his rearview mirror and grinned when he saw him mouthing the words: I love you.

He (Jungkook) did. He did love him.

He was sweet, caring, and protective, and family was everything to him.  Despite his packed schedule, he always took the time to come with them for Hoseok's weekly injections and check-ups. 

 Hoseok had been taking the new drug for ten weeks now.  There were no side effects but the doctor couldn't tell how well his body was responding to the drug until after he had taken all ten doses.  Well, today was the day.

Jungkook's phone buzzed and he smiled when he saw the message from Taehyung.  I love you more Cupcake.  Call me once you're talked to the doctor.

They were seeing Dr. Shin today, and they would find out for sure if Hoseok was improving under this new treatment.

Hoseok put on a brave front and appeared cheerful and nonchalant but Jungkook knew that his brother was terrified inside.

This new drug had proven effective on eighty percent of the patients, but there was still that niggling twenty percent.  This new miracle drug didn't work its magic on everyone.  There were many factors at play, and Dr. Shin had explained the probabilities and risks to them.  But this was their last hope.