Former Champion Lends a Hand!

Start from the beginning

One half of the Sawyer's Zygarde, half of the one known only by a mysterious title Z3, was held in safe-keeping in Pine's PC; the other half was in Shadow's. But the two halves of the Zygarde Team Flare claimed, Z1 and Z2 had never surfaced... until now. One was definitely in the possession of the evil team once more, while the other...

It took all Zenith's willpower not to glance at Squishy sleeping silently in Bonnie's bag.

"I understand," Diantha told the sisters. "He raised you young ladies well, but living within his lab would lead to you all inevitably discovering some of his better-kept secrets. That's why I came here today, though, to inquire if anything odd has been going on for your group."

Before anyone could stop her, Bonnie grinned. "That's it! Ash's Greninja can do something super cool!"

One hit after the other... We may as well broadcast to the whole region all of our secrets!

At least Diantha didn't seem to recognize the description of the bond phenomenon after the events were summarized to her. In fact, she wanted to see it for herself, and challenged Ash to a battle!

"Garrrrrdevoirrrrr," her Pokemon announced as it was released from the Pokeball, giving a bow to the sisters. Zenith's own shiny Gardevoir popped out of her Love Ball and did the same right back to Diantha and her partner.

"I want to see what Greninja can do with my very own eyes," Diantha said confidently, and Ash was quick to accept.

"You're on! I'd jump at the chance to battle with you, Diantha! Maybe if we can beat you, we'll be able to challenge Zenith next! Let's show her what we can do, 'kay?" That last part was aimed at Greninja.

Zenith nodded, internally sighing in relief. "Ash, remember Diantha and her Gardevoir can Mega Evolve. It's not quite as strong as my Gardevoir and me at full strength, but it's still nothing to scoff at. Don't let your guard down, and remember, you each have a type advantage over one another."

"Thanks for the tip!" Both sides walked onto the battlefield, and Ash showed off Clemont's Battle Pulse Meter for tracking synchronicity. "Now Greninja, last time we tried to battle Diantha, Team Rocket messed things up before she could Mega Evolve, but we've done an awful lot of battling since then! This time, we'll win!"

"Gren!"

"We're all ready to go, Diantha!"

"Great! Ash, you have the honor!"

"'Kay. Greninja, use Cut!"

Gardevoir easily dodged by floating into the air with its psychic powers and landing out of range, without Diantha giving a worded command.

"Incredible! They can communicate using just their eyes!" Serena exclaimed.

"You guys have been spoiled since I announce all my moves for performances to give the audience an idea of what's going on, but any decently-strong trainer with a Gardevoir can do that; unlike many other psychic Pokemon, Gardevoir are highly in tune with the emotions of their trainers, and can use the telepathic bond between trainer and Pokemon to give and receive commands in battle!" Zenith reminded them.

"Water Shruiken!"

Gardevoir leaped and flipped between the flying projectiles, gracefully avoiding each one.

"Use Cut and don't stop!"

This time, Gardevoir teleported moments before Greninja slashed each time.