Chapter 27

Maddox thrashed against the nurses and Deputy Roman until Sophia gave him a light sedative to calm him down. Within a matter of seconds, his breathing steadied, and his heartbeat was back to a normal rhythm.

Sophia called her brother to let him know Maddox was awake. "Ok, let's all give him some breathing room." Sophia ushered the nurses and Deputy Roman out of the room.

She approached the side of the bed and rechecked the monitor. "How are you feeling, Maddox?"

"Groggy and like I've been dragged down a gravel road." He mumbled, reaching for the cup of water next to his bed. "Oh here, let me help you with that." Sophia grabbed it and put the straw in his mouth.

"I told my brother you were awake; he's sending Hawk and Ink to check on you," Sophia informed him.

Maddox tried to shift so he could sit more upright. Sophia pressed a button on the bed, and it began elevating forward. "You were yelling for someone named Kate." "Is she your girlfriend?" "Should I call her?" Sophia asked.

Maddox shook his head. "She's not my girlfriend, just someone I care about." "I can ask Hawk or Ink when they arrive."

"Ask us what, motherfucker!" Ink shouted with glee, busting through the door with Hawk right behind him.

"Hey, Sophia." Both men greeted, hugging her. "I have rounds to make, Maddox; holler if you need anything." Sophia smiled, walking out of the room.

"How are you feeling, buddy?" Hawk tapped him lightly on the shoulder. "I've been better." Maddox joked. "How bad is it?"

Hawk told him about everything that happened while he was unconscious.

Maddox was puzzled by what they told him. It felt more like a movie script being read to him versus a reality. He sat silent for a moment, trying to reconcile all of this.

"Ice was a model," Maddox repeated. Hawk and Ink busted out laughing. "Out of everything I just told you, that's what you focus on." Hawk chuckled.

"It's easier to focus on the light stuff than the other bombshells," Maddox mumbled, then began removing the tubes from his arm.

"Woah, what are you doing?" Ink asked in a panic. "Getting the fuck out of here, the club needs me," Maddox answered, groaning in pain as he tried to sit up.

"Oh no, sir, you lay back down." Sophia barged into the room. "Darling, I'm leaving." He replied. Sophia pressed her tiny hand on his chest and shook her head. "I can't allow that."

"She's right, Mads; you just woke up after being in a coma." Ink reiterated to the prospect.

"With everything going on, you can't expect me just to sit here and do nothing!" Maddox yelled. Hawk and Ink looked over to Sophia.

"I'm out of the woods, nothing wrong with me, right?" Maddox directed his question at Sophia. "No secondary issues, your vitals and test all came back negative." She answered.

"Ok, then I'm discharging myself – just give me something for the pain," Maddox said, scooting off the bed. Ink handed him a duffle bag with some clothes inside.

Sophia sighed in defeat. She couldn't make Maddox stay – though calling her brother was an option; she quickly pushed that idea away. She figured Maddox was probably as stubborn as her brother and wouldn't listen anyway.

"I'll write you a prescription for Percocet; that'll help ease the pain." "I'll have your discharge papers ready at the front desk," Sophia said before leaving the room.