19. Bigger than we thought

Chapter 19

The cab driver pulled to the side of the street where the loft existed near. I paid the driver, got out of the cab, and walked the little distance left for me to take to the loft. I went though the street heading towards the loft, and the ally. I kept glancing around me in attempt to find anyone that could be following me or watching me. Hank would indeed be furious by now, and surly he would be throwing an internal tantrum of his own. I hope he is smart enough not to tell my brothers or parents since that would get him, and me in serious trouble which also takes us to square one. I am also pretty sure that my parents didn't want me going nowhere today to rest or something since I just got out of the hospital this morning which adds to the long list of things that bring me back to square one.

I looked around me one more time before entering the ally. Surly, a black suited- middle- aged man was warily glancing at me. I sighed. Couldn't this go easy? How come they show up just now in a week? I kept walking, passing the ally that led to the loft. I stopped by this ice cream truck where a lot of kids were standing by since there was also a park entrance near it. I glanced at the man, and sure enough he was keeping a close distance to me. How do I distract this man?

Think, Clark, think. Think. Think. Think. Think. Think.

"Excuse me, miss." I heard a soft voice of a young girl from right beside me. She looked like she was at the age of ten or so. She had pale skin, and had the most lighted blue eyes I have laid eyes on, and her blonde hair that was left down to her shoulder length.

I kneeled down to be in the same eye range as her, "hey there." I smiled. "What can I do to you, princess?" I asked, smiling. I probably shouldn't be talking to strangers or kids that might somehow try to lure you into some way of a trap, but helping seemed like an instinct to me.

"I can't reach the top of the truck to ask the guy to buy ice cream and he won't listen to me." She told me, "would you please, buy me the ice cream?" She pleaded, with a puppy dog face, and a five dollar bill hanging in her hand.

"Where are your parents, sweetie?" I asked frowning, looking around in search for a possible parent that could be looking for his daughter.

"My daddy is talking on the phone over there," she pointed at a middle aged man, surly, talking on the phone, and he looked engaged in a serious conversation. "He gave me the money and told me to buy it for myself while he finishes his phone call." She told me. I somewhat felt.. Familiar with this girl's situation. My dad barely ever had time for me lately. It's like her relationship with her father is almost escalating to a similar relationship as the one I have with mine right now, and I didn't want that to happen.

"Didn't your daddy tell you not to speak to strangers?" I asked her smiling slightly at her cuteness.

"He did," she told me, "but he didn't listen to me when I told him to buy me ice cream, why should I listen to him?"

"You always need to listen to your dad, specially since you're still young. He always knows what's best for you." I couldn't let their relationship turn into something like what me and my dad have. No one deserves to have this. I feel bad for her, and I almost feel bad for myself, but I told myself not to let my emotions get in the way. Darkness.

"Okay," she looked down, "but he is over there, and he is still watching over me, so can you please buy me the ice cream?" She asked

"I would lo-" I cut myself short as a thought crossed my head. I will probably be a terrible person for doing this, but I have to get rid of this man, and her father is staring at her at the moment, so he is watching over her. Weird dad that's okay with his daughter talking to strangers. Maybe he is okay with her talking to non- suspicious people, but if he finds her talking to black-suited man, he might go there and take her, therefore talking to the man, therefore distracting him. Let's just hope I am not a terrible person.