Chapter 34

Mai groaned and nuzzled further into the pillow before inhaling and exhaling deeply. She could hear the birds outside. Slowly her eyes opened and lazily look around. It was still fairly early to get up, yet the Chuunin pulled herself from the bed to find something to eat. Halfway to the kitchen she paused in the living room cocking her head to the side to listen carefully. Something didn't feel right, but not in a threatening manner. Shoulders rolling, the girl continued with her morning routine.

But the Be Fong still couldn't shake the feeling. A finger tapped against the counter top. The ninja wondered if she should visit Belva. Something had shifted in the chakra web that surrounded the Chuunin.

A knock at the door made Mai pause midway through eating. She walked towards the front, surprised to find Izumo and Kotetsu standing on the other side of the door. The Hokage's personal ninjas from her office. They seemed to sigh in relief at the sight of the girl.

"Can I help you?" she asked.

"Mai Be Fong, the Hokage wishes to see you," Kotetsu stated.

"This is an urgent matter," Izumo stressed. "You better get ready quickly."

For some reason a sense of dread filled the girl.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shikamaru stood in front of the Hokage's desk, watching Tsunade. She was in deep thought with her hands clasped together in front of the chin.

"Late last night," she spoke up, "Sasuke left the Village. There's no doubt in my mind he's headed for the Sound Village."

"He left?" Shikamaru exclaimed. "Why?"

"Because Orochimaru persuaded him to."

The Chuunin couldn't believe what he was hearing. "Wait a second here! Why would Sasuke be persuaded by such a dangerous guy?"

"That's beside the point. We're running out of precious time."

A thought struck the Nara. "What about Mai?"

"We do not know... I have ninjas searching for her now, but we can only hope she didn't follow."

A part of Shikamaru was doubtful that the Be Fong was still in the Village. Those two had always been close. If one did something the other would usually follow.

"For the time being, Shikamaru, I'll be giving you your first mission, right now."

"You want me to follow Sasuke and bring him back?"

The woman nodded.

"If we don't run into the enemy, it shouldn't be a problem," he stated.

"That's true, however, this mission needs to be completed quickly above all else," the Hokage said. "There will be a high probability of running into trouble."

His eyes widened. "What?"

"This isn't the first time something like this has happened... There is also a high probability Orochimaru's henchmen will be showing Sasuke the way."

There was a newfound determination in his expression already formulating a plan. "Therefore, for this mission I ask for a team comprised of only Jounin and Chuunin," he requested.

"That I cannot do."

Surprise couldn't even begin to comprehend what he was feeling with the outward refusal to meet his demands.