Chapter 4

Mai's stomach growled a bit the next morning as she stared into the kitchen. Kakashi didn't have to worry about her eating before the exam, since the cabinets were bare at the moment. Though it was nothing new. Sometimes she didn't have enough money to buy food because the girl spent it all on the repairs for the house. Hunger wasn't foreign, and could go a day or two without consistent meals. However, she knew the others on her team, who had yet to experience such a thing, lack of food would make them weaker than normal, which wasn't ideal.

Leaving the house and locking the door, Mai made her way to Sasuke's apartment. Knocking on the door, it opened seconds later.

"I figured since you didn't read the paper you wouldn't know where we were meeting," the Be Fong said.

He grumbled to himself, not willing to admit it aloud that she was right. The two made their walk towards one of the far training grounds along the south end of the Village. Sakura and Naruto were already waiting, bored out of their minds. Though the pink-haired girl's eyes lit up in excitement at seeing Sasuke.

"I am so not in the mood for her today," the Uchiha muttered.

"Then it's a good thing we'll be out in the woods for this exam so hopefully she'll be more focused on the 'survival' part."

"Hopefully..."

"Good morning, Sasuke!" Sakura waved. "You too, Mai!" she added.

Both cocked an eyebrow in interest. Sakura never greeted her before. "Morning... Sakura..." she answered back.

Two hours passed before Kakashi finally arrived. Not at all sorry for lack of punctuality. And he was the one to set the time!

"You're late!" Naruto and Sakura exclaimed. Pointing an accusing finger at the young man in annoyance.

He waved off their reaction and lead Team 7 further into the field where a stone and three wooden pillars stuck out of the grass.

"Okay," Kakashi said. He set a timer on top of a pillar for all to see. "It's set for noon. Here are two bells. Your task is to take these from me before the time is up. Those who cannot acquire a bell by noon get no lunch. I'll not only tie you to one of those stumps, but I'll eat right in front of you."

Naruto and Sakura gulped, visibly nervous at the thought.

"You only need to retrieve one bell. There are only two, so two of you will definitely be tied up. And the person who doesn't get it, fails. I understand that this is a four-person team. However, those two who do not get a bell, I will grade them based on their performance. To balance out the team, and send the person who failed back to the Academy. However, if I don't think any of you deserve the title of Genin, you will all go back to the Academy."

Their expressions grew determined to complete the task. No one wished to head back to the Academy.

"You can eve use your shurikens. You won't succeed unless you come at me intending to kill."

"But you'll be in danger!" Sakura exclaimed.

"True," Mai added. "But if he wasn't a Jounin, then he wouldn't be giving us this training."

"You're so slow you can't even dodge a blackboard eraser!" Naruto laughed. "We'll kill you!"

"In the real world those with no talent often bark the loudest," the Jounin stated. "Well, ignore Mr. Dead Last, and start when I say–"

At hearing the nickname, Naruto pulled out a shuriken and attacked Kakashi head on to everyone's surprise. However, the boy only managed to take a step forward before his arm was bent at an odd angle, the weapon pointed at the back of his head. While the sensei's other hand gripped the hair to further hold him in place.