Chapter 33

Everytime the car stops I ask if we are there. The car slows to a stop and I open my mouth.

"Yes, we are here." Sodapop answers before I can ask.

"Oh good." I reach up to take the blindfold off.

"You can't take it off yet! We have to get to the spot first," he tells me.

"But I won't be able to see where I am going," I complain.

"I'll carry you," he offers.

"But-" I start.

"No buts. Can you be patient with me, love?" He asks.

I fold my arms, "fine." I'm trying to be mad, but its not working. A giggle escapes my lips as he puts his arms under my legs and back so he can pick me up.

He doesn't walk very far when he puts me down. He doesn't let go of me, instead, he wraps his arms around my waist.

I reach up to take the blindfold off, but he stops me. He pulls it off of me himself and slides my glasses on. He is the first thing I see when I open my eyes. He has a big smile plastered on his face. His eyes look me over. I smile at him.

I look around. We are outside in what looks to be a park. No one else is here. There is a small river flowing next to us. The leaves on the trees are changing colors. It looks beautiful.

"Sodapop, its beautiful!" I exclaim.

"I knew you'd like it." He presses his lips on my forehead for a second before he pulls away. He gestures to a spot behind me. I turn around. On the floor lays a blanket, and a basket.

"When did you have time to set this up?" I ask.

"I picked the spot and told Steve what I wanted. He helped." He sits down on the blanket and then pulls me down next to him. I land on his lap. My face gets hot.

"We have different sandwiches to eat. There is peanut butter and jelly, or ham and cheese. Which one do you want?" He asks.

"Peanut butter and jelly," I reply.

He pulls out a sandwich as well as a bottle of Root Beer. He hands both to me. I take a bite of my sandwich.

"Its so pretty here. The trees look beautiful." I tell him.

"Not as beautiful as you are." Sodapop tells me.

I turn to look at him. He has a stupid grin on his face.

"Oh stop it," I shake my head at him. The smile on my face grows.

"Its true! Do you want me to be a liar?" He asks.

"No, I don't want you to be a liar," I take another bite of my sandwich. I look at Soda. The sun starts to set and as it does it turns him into a God. The gold makes his face glow.

"Do you want to dance?" He asks.

"Do I want to what?"

"Dance. I brought the radio." He says.

"I have no idea how to dance." I explain. I'm slightly embarrassed.

"Dont worry, love. I do." He turns the radio on, and pulls me up with him.

"Why do you know how to dance?" I ask.

"My parents made me take ballroom dance lessons when I was younger. I guess I never forgot how to." He shrugs.

"I never learned how to dance. You'll have to be patient with me,"

"I can do that." He slowly rocks us side to side in a circle. The song that plays on the radio is Elvis Presley's Can't Help Falling In Love. I press my head on to Soda's shoulder. He presses his chin on the top of my head.

"This is perfect," I say.

"Only the best for you," Sodapop whispers.

"I could live in this moment forever. Did you know that this is my first real date?" I ask.

"What? How?" He asks.

"Gary and Bruce didn't really go for the romantic side of being a couple." I admit.

"They never deserved you." Sodapop says in a serious voice.

"I know. I think I've found someone who could be my forever love." I say.

"And who might that be?"

"You," I whisper, "it will always be you. You've affected my life too much. You can't leave," I say.

"I will never leave you," he whispers as he kisses me. The song comes to an end and he dips me. I let out a gasp of surprise. With my mouth open from shock, Soda slips his tounge in. I gasp again, this time its his name.

"I love you, Monroe." He says and then goes back to kissing me.

The rest of the date went by in a flash. We finished eating and then we looked at the stars for a little while. We only left once I started to get cold. Sodapop gave me his jacket, but it wasn't enough, and then I felt bad because he didn't have one.

When we get home it is late. Almost 12. I wonder if Johnny stayed? I sure hope he did. I know what it's like to be in his shoes. His abuse seems more physical than mine did. My Dad said a lot of things to me. He was more of a verbal abuser. He only hit me sometimes. He usually only hit my Mom.

I step into the house, expecting Johnny to be gone. Instead he is fast asleep on the couch. I'm glad. Johnny doesn't deserve to be hurt.

"Lets go to bed, Roe." Sodapop tells me. I look at him. He still has that worried look on his face.

"Soda, I told you. I'm not going to leave you. You mean so much to me. I will never be able to leave you. Do you trust me?" I ask.

"I do, its just hard to stop thinking that you are going to leave me." He says.

I frown. "What can I do to prove that I'm not going to leave you?" I ask.

"Nothing! I know you won't. You aren't the type of person who would do that. This is all on me. I am trying to get better, but it will take some time. Believe me, I am trying." He says.

"I know you are. I love you, Soda." I say.

"I love you too, Monroe Winston. So much." He pulls me closer to him. I smile. He grins at me.