Chapter 31

"Hey, Monroe. Wake up." Someone whispers as they shake me. I slowly open my eyes. There is enough light in my room to see Johnny standing in front of me. He is holding something to his head. Some kind of cloth.

"Are you okay, Johnny?" I ask.

"Yeah. I'm fine. I think. My Dad hit me over the head with a beer bottle and sliced it up pretty good. I didn't know what else to do, so I came here." He tells me.

At his words I am immediately awake. I have known about Johnny's abuse. It reminds me of my own. I slide out of Sodapop's arms. He groans a little bit doesn't wake up. I grab Johnny's arm and lead him out of my bedroom and into the livingroom.

"Can I see how bad it is?" I ask once Johnny is sitting on the couch. He pulls the cloth away. Immediately blood starts dripping down the side of his head. There is a flap of skin hanging loose and I can see the white glint of bone. I take the towel Johnny has and apply pressure.

"How bad is it?" He asks.

"Johnny, you need to go to a hospital." I tell him.

"I can't do that."

"Why not?" I ask.

"I can't go back there. I just can't. Please don't make me." He says. There is genuine fear in his face.

"Okay, Johnny. I can give you stitches. I don't have the proper supplies and it is going to hurt. Do you want me to do that?" I ask.

"Yes."

"Okay. I'm gonna get the first aid kit and some more help." I tell him. "Oh, and lay down. Keep pressure on that." He listens to my orders.

"Soda?" I shake him. I can't give Johnny stitches by myself. Someone needs to hold him down.

"Hmmm?" He says softly. His eyes slowly flutter open.

"Johnny needs stitches. I need help." I explain.

Sodapop immediately jumps up. "What happened?" He asks.

"His Dad hit him over the head with a beer bottle. Its pretty bad."

Sodapop follows me back into the livingroom. Johnny has his eyes closed and now I am worried that he might have a concussion.

"Soda, can you get me two cloths, the first aid kit, and the strongest alcohol you have in the house?" I ask.

"Yes ma'am." Sodapop leaves the room again.

"What is the alcohol for?" Johnny asks.

I turn back to his head and remove the cloth. The bleeding has slowed down enough for me to get a better look. This is going to be difficult to stitch. I am no where near a professional. "I need it to clean out your wound." I hesitate. "And for you to drink. This isn't a painless process." I explain.

"Okay," is all he says.

"I wish you would go to the hospital. I am not a doctor and this will be a long, painful, process."

"Monroe, I can't go to the hospital. I just can't. Last time I was there..." he trails off.

"I know what happened. Sodapop told me." I push the towel back onto his head.

"What are you guys doing?" Darry asks from the hallway.

"Giving Johnny stitches." I say plainly. Sodapop pushes his way past Darry. His arms are full of supplies. He sets them down next to me. "Thank you." I say. He gives me a nervous smile.

"Johnny, you can't stay there anymore. This is getting ridiculous." Darry tells him.

Johnny winces. I know what it is like to be trapped in an abusive household. I had no where to go.