29-Gone

gone

When the dawn comes he can barely move, and not because Tatiana is snuggled in so close. Every muscle has seized up. his body is struggling to recover, to repair the damage.

Unable to move with any grace his movements are jerky.

he edges into the light that flows water-like through the windows and strips off his topmost layer. On each arm, there are great purple welts that will only deepen over the coming week.

Against his ghostly skin, they are grotesque, but he knows he was lucky not to have broken bones. he looks as beat up as he did in his early days of training, sparring with guys two heads taller and over twice his mass. At least they didn't go for his face - unlike those gang patsies.

he doesn't need to be walking about looking like he came off worse in a fight so he guesses he's gonna be hauled up here for a while. Without looking in a mirror he knows his face is as purple as his arms.

Sensing the rolling beside her, she frowned and opened her eyes, trying to see in the dimly lit room where the hell she was. And there her eyes met the darkest orbs of jay's watching her, she was literally beyond the words when she realized that she stayed the night sitting in a chair beside his bed, racing care of his fever during the night.

She sat up, not caring about the yawn that escaped her mouth, and rubbing the sleep from her eyes. "can you call Niki, I need to go to the bathroom,"

"sure," she said before standing to get Niki, wishing silent that he'll be near; she really doesn't need to overstep the boundaries of their house. And to her luck, she finds him sprawling one of the sofas in the living room, it seemed like he spent the night there. When she told him about jay, he accompanied her with him towards the bedroom, all the signs of tiredness and stress were painting their faces.

But then, when she entered his bedroom, her sight was welcomed by a bare bed just the sheets on it. Just then she heard a cough and they got a little worried so they patted both patted towards the bathroom.

her hand hovered over the knob and she went to knock with her other hand when he coughed again, this time clearly gagging as he did so.

She didn't knock and she didn't waste another second before opening the door with Nikki who cursed, "fuck".

Now, they both could see jay's shoulders shaking and she could tell he was shivering as soon as she caught a glimpse of him. "Oh, Jay." she sat behind him, rubbing his back to feel his shirt was damp under her touch.

She peeked around and saw he was sweating, beads of sweat rolling down his forehead. After some time, she heard him breathe out shakily before he groaned. "You should go back to bed." she said.

She could tell he didn't want her to see him like this and she understood why because of the experiences she had done her job.

"It's okay, you are okay.." she whispered as she started to rub his back. she could picture the discomfort on his face and the thought alone broke her heart. But it was even worse when she heard a whine fall from his lips and he started to throw up again. "Niki, can you grab some ice-cold water?"she asked Niki who nodded in instant before securing his way out.

she rubbed his back in circles, ignoring how sticky his skin felt under her fingers. "Let it all out. You're gonna be okay" she soothed again until he stopped a few minutes later.

He closed the lid and reached a shaky hand around to flush the toilet. He groaned over how sick and miserable he felt. "Are you okay?" Niki asked giving him the ice-cold water, "I think so."

"Just take a few deep breaths. I'm here with you." He sighed softly when he felt her nails lightly press into the skin of his back. His skin tingled a little and she continued that for a moment before getting up to grab him some water.

He sipped it slowly and when he was done she took the cup from him and set it back
on the counter. she pressed her hand to his forehead and felt the heat of his skin under her touch. "You're still warm," she mumbled to herself and planned to get up to grab the thermometer, but he took her hand. "I just need to rest."

She nodded. "Of course. Do you think you can brush your teeth first?" He shrugged
weakly. "I'll help you" He exhaled shakily but didn't protest anymore. Niki helped him onto his feet and put his arm around his waist, walking with him to the sink. And helped him stand up because his legs felt like jelly underneath him.

He finished a moment later and she helped him to bed before grabbing him a few things; a cold glass of water, some medicine for his fever, and a clean shirt for him to change into that you asked from Niki to grab from his wardrobe.

He shivered as she helped him out of his dirty one but warmed up a little when she quickly helped him change into the clean one and pulled the covers over him, up to his chin.

"Are you okay? Do you need anything else?" she hated seeing him so uncomfortable and so sick, so anything she could do to help him and make him feel better she'd do in a heartbeat.

Before Jay could answer, your phone rang with Jake's name on the screen, "fuck"

she forgot to make mention of time, she had a morning shift today to change with Jake, she had to go, but she didn't want to. "I think, I should go" she spoke to no-one in particular, before she turned her head to Niki,"You make sure to check his fever every half hour, and change his bandage once a day, and please help him out with healthy food"

With every instruction she said, Niki nodded biting her a thank you after she finished grabbing her supplies in hurry. "it's my job if something happened give me a call, okay?"

"sure, thank you again" This time it was Jay who said it while she nodded her head in understanding, "take care"

.