the price of power...

Matilda's POV

"Matilda," Thanatos rose from the bed and gently kissed my shoulder. "Come back to bed."

"I can't."

"Why?" His arm slowly crawled around my waist.

"I don't know..." Napahawak ako sa braso niya. "I keep hearing voices."

"And whose voices?" Ipinatong niya ang kanyang ulo sa balikat ko. "Tell me."

Nagpakawala ako ng malalim na hininga. "Hindi ko rin alam..."

Tinanggal ko ang braso niya mula sa pagkakapalipot sa'kin at tumayo. "I should go check on Kaye." Because something's telling me I have to.

Thanatos let out a defeated groan and fell back on the black sheets of his bed. He rolled over to the side, with his back against me. "Wake me up when my brother arrives."

Yumuko ako at kinuha ang nightgown na nasa paanan ko. Isinuot ko ito, habang inaalala ang bawat panaginip ko simula nang makabalik kami sa Underworld.

The voices were all too unfamiliar to me. Although I already have a hunch kung sino-sino ang mga ito.

Without making any noise, I made my way out of Thanatos' room and headed straight to her daughter's room, which was on the other end of the dimly lit hallway.

Dahan-dahan kong binuksan ang pinto at natagpuan si Kaye na mahimbing na natutulog.

Lumapit ako sa kanya, nang mapatigil ako dahil nakarinig ako ng tinig.

"Isabella Salvatori."

Umikot ako at tinignan ang babaeng nakatayo sa may pintuan. Suot niya ang uniform ng Academy at nakatapat sa kanyang dibdib ang isang makapal na libro.

"What are you still doing here? Kanina ka pa hinahanap ni Reign."

Slowly, I looked at the girl she was talking to. Saka ako napaatras.

"What in the Underworld-"

Natagpuan ko ang isa pang estudyanteng babae na nakaupo sa sahig habang inaayos ang maitim niyang doll house. She had long black hair, the darkest shade of black, and it was so long it reached behind her knees once she stood on her feet.

But it wasn't her hair that surprised me. It was the dark mist that surrounded her. The air around her was gloomy and cold... deadly cold, especially when she looked back at the other girl that called her.

And now that I could see her clearly, she was shockingly pale. The ends of her blunt bangs rested on her long eyelashes. Though despite the darkened expression on her face, she still looked beautiful. Hauntingly beautiful.

"Paige," sambit niya sa babaeng tumawag sa kanya. "Anong sabi ni Reign? Kailangan niya ba ako?"

"Uh?" Tila hindi natinag sa nakakakapanindig-balahibo niyang boses, napaangat ng isang kilay yung Paige. "Did you forget? We're training together today."

"Isabella..." Napayuko ako. "Salvatori..."

Wala sa sarili akong napangiti nang muling mapatingin sa kanya.

"Oh!" The black mist around her disappeared, along with the cold, when a warm smile formed on her lips. "Ngayon pala 'yon?" nananabik niyang tanong.

Natawa ako nang mahina.

She turns into a different person when she smiles. She's one that glares at you coldly, but smiles at you warmly.