Vol. 4: Chapter 10.1 - The Final Conclave

Mulai dari awal

"Mn... Ichinose-san got Karuizawa-san's name during the night of the second day, so theoretically, Horikita-san has a whole 24-hour lead. But if we assume that Katsuragi-kun has an additional one or two names in his hand, we'd probably be in trouble," added Hirata.

"I see... And I'm sure you're worried about what Ryuuen's up to, as well." I held my chin and contemplated the current situation.

"I know you're not helping us out and we won't ask for your help when we've come this far on our own... But I would like to know if you've figured anything out," asked Horikita.

"I actually have."

My response caused them to stiffen.

"Thank you for answering. I won't ask any further," she said.

"Did you find out the pattern, Kiyotaka-kun?!" Kikyou asked enthusiastically.

"Who knows?" I shrugged.

"Ehh? You're so stingy!" she pouted.

Horikita shook her head in dismay while Hirata only laughed softly. Whether they think I know the pattern or not isn't really important. I've already made it clear that I had no intention of helping them.

"I guess that much is expected," sighed Horikita.

"Do you think we have a chance of winning?" asked Hirata.

"Of course," I nodded slightly. "You shouldn't underestimate yourselves, you know?"

"I'm personally not underestimating myself or my groupmates. I believe we'd come out on top if we were all fairly playing on the same field," said Horikita. "However, this is a race against time."

Horikita got Minamikata's name on the first day. According to Hashimoto, Katsuragi got one VIP name from Ryuuen during the second day, so they should at least know four names, including the three from their own respective classes. The same goes for Ichinose who got Karuizawa's name during the second day. The fight is certainly on equal grounds, theoretically speaking.

Given the advantages that she got on the first day, Horikita's confidence wasn't unfounded. However, she's also correct about her second point. If things end in a stalemate and Outcome #2 gets triggered for all the remaining groups, the class standings will stay the same. Class A might have the chance to retaliate and widen the gap on future exams.

"You're probably right..." I replied, looking at Horikita straight in the eyes. "Since everyone who's trying to figure out the pattern is stuck in the same rut, then the school must've been pretty successful with the exam."

The three cocked their heads in wonder.

"Just don't overthink things too much. They've given us instructions to finish the exam, right? Maybe you should come back to that. It might help," I said.

"Hmm... All of us collectively thought that the instructions were just formality, though," replied Hirata.

"Yes, I personally didn't find anything helpful from it," followed Horikita.

"Maybe so. That's just my personal take on the matter. If the pattern isn't showing itself, maybe you need to look at it from another perspective."

"What kind of perspective?" asked Hirata.

"It depends on the person. You just have to use your eyes."

"I see..." Horikita held her chin with a pondering look.

"Trying to find the pattern means you're going up against the school itself. If you think about it from that angle, maybe the answer would get clearer," I said. "Well, the pattern aside, I believe you guys have something more troublesome to worry about," I said.

"You mean Ichinose-san?" Now, it was Hirata who smiled bitterly.

"Ohh, Honami-chan, huh...?" muttered Kikyou.

"If I don't find the pattern in time, Ichinose-san and her class will probably have more winning chances even if their final plan is situational at best," said Horikita.

"I think it's fine if you leave Class C's plan to us, Horikita-san. While you prioritize getting the VIPs' names, Kushida-san and I will try to come up with something. I'm sure the class will cooperate if needed."

"Alright, I understand," nodded Horikita.

I know Horikita still isn't too comfortable about working closely with other people, but she has to start somewhere. I'm sure Hirata and Kikyou know that she's still trying to adjust even though she's not showing it on her face. Those two are experts in reading the room anyway, so they can probably gauge how much space Horikita needs whenever they're together.

It's an ability that I can only hope of having.

"I assume you three will stick together for the rest of the day then?" I asked.

It's probably the best thing to do, especially today-- much like how Ichinose, Kanzaki, and Tsube are always together, same with Katsuragi and his classmates.

"I think it'd be ideal because depending on the circumstances, everyone's plans might shift in unexpected directions," answered Hirata.

"Then I guess we don't have anything to worry about," I said, leaning back on my seat.

"If we win, Horikita-san's status as the leader will be solidified!" Kikyou followed with a big smile.

"I think our classmates trust you enough, Horikita-san. When they learned about our group's current situation, most of them voiced their supports," followed Hirata.

"Support, huh? Well, the commotion in our class's group chat was instigated by Kushida-san. It only made sense that a lot of them agreed." Horikita gave Kikyou a sharp look.

"Ehehe..." Kikyou scratched her head nervously.

Our talks continued and encompassed a lot of the things that didn't even need to be talked about. We've spent a little over four months together in this school but it was debatable whether it felt like we've been together for a much longer time or whether it felt like the entrance ceremony just happened yesterday.

Since I've never experienced anything like this before, it certainly felt fresh and new.

"I have one thing to ask of you, Horikita."

Turning the wheels back to the important matters, I spoke up towards Class B's future leader.

"What is it?" she asked, narrowing her eyes.

"After you've figured out the pattern, you must inform the three of us before making any moves."

"That much is obvious. I'll be sure to tell you when I've done it," she replied.

The moment I said those words, Horikita finally caught on to something.