Vol. 1: Chapter 12.1 - You Can Change

The following Monday night, I was finishing the study materials for the new lessons when I heard my stomach growl lightly in hunger.

"I could cook something, but I don't wanna sleep too late. 'Guess I'll just buy something at the convenience store..." I murmured to myself.

When I arrived on the first floor, I saw Horikita, still dressed in her uniform, walk out of the building. That's strange...

I didn't really need to hide. I can just call out to Horikita, but I decided to hide my presence and follow her anyway. The place around the building was well lit, but she headed to a very inconspicuous place. After Horikita's sharp turn, I sensed another person with her.

"Suzune. I didn't think you'd follow me this far." A male voice could suddenly be heard.

I remember this voice. I've heard it before...

"I'm not the useless girl you once knew, Nii-san. I'll eventually catch up to you," replied Horikita.

Nii-san, is it? Well, that confirms my suspicion.

My instincts were telling me to stay hidden. His figure was hidden in the dark, but I'll be discovered if I try to move a muscle.

"Catch up to me, huh...? I heard you were placed in Class D, but you got promoted to Class B this May. That's certainly impressive," he commented.

"Yes, I'll definitely reach Class A," said Horikita.

"Hmph, you got arrogant after a fluke? Then, tell me Suzune. Were you the reason for your class's achievement? Were you the one who prevented the defects from falling apart?" he asked.

"I..." Horikita wavered. Her confidence instantly took a hit.

"As I thought. It's pointless, Suzune. You neither have the abilities nor qualities to reach Class A. Even if, by some miracle, your class reaches Class A in the future, I'd doubt the contribution you've given," he elaborated.

"That's not--..."

The person stepped closer to the docile Horikita and his appearance became clear from my hiding spot. It was Student Council President Horikita Manabu, Horikita Suzune's older brother. She tried to protest, but the elder Horikita grabbed her by the wrist. Horikita got pushed into a wall without any resistance whatsoever.

"The fact that you're my little sister remains. I would be humiliated if people learn that my own little sister is nothing but a defective failure. Leave this school immediately," he coldly ordered.

"I-I can't do that... I'll definitely reach Class A with my own abilities! I'll... I'll prove it to you!" she petitioned.

"How stupid..." The change in his grip was visible. This is dangerous.

I approached them as fast as I can. Before he could do anything, I grabbed his right arm and made my presence known.

"What? You..." He stared at his arm and slowly turned to me with a sharp gleam.

"A-Ayanokouji-kun?!" cried Horikita.

"You were about to throw your sister to the ground, weren't you? You do realize that the floor here is concrete, right? You might be siblings, but you should know the difference between right and wrong." I said.

"Eavesdropping is not an admirable quality," he replied.

"Fine, then let go."

"That's my line."

We glared at each other in complete silence.

"Stop it, Ayanokouji-kun..." said Horikita, her voice strained. This is the first time I've heard her voice like that.