Vol. 2: Chapter 7.3 - Always in Control

Earlier that day...

"Everyone in here should be aware of the situation. That's what you told me, right, Ayanokouji?" asked Chabashira-sensei.

"Yes, I've explained everything to the class," Ayanokouji-kun replied.

"Alright then, Ike and Yamauchi will be coming with me later for the hearing along with Horikita. If you can't defend yourselves today, we'll have to treat it as a trial and make a decision right then and there. Sakagami-sensei and I will be there to aid the student council in presiding over the hearing," she explained.

The student council...? The hearing will be led by Nii-san? What will he think about this? Our class has gotten in trouble... and it's up to me to try and fix it... Will he think of me as a failure once again?

"Horikita? Are you alright?"

I didn't realize that I was absentmindedly staring downwards until Ayanokouji-kun called out to me.

"You're worried about your brother being there?"

"No, I'm..." I tried to deny it, but the tone of my voice told him otherwise.

"Get it together, Horikita. We can't show any weakness right now." Ayanokouji-kun uttered those words without looking at me.

"Yes, I know that..." That's right. I know that much... It's just that...

"Come to the last end of the hallway on the third floor later. I need to talk to you about something," he said.

When lunchtime arrived, I finished my meal before immediately proceeding towards the place Ayanokouji-kun talked about. I got there and saw his waiting figure. The small open window on the top-most part of the wall illuminated him in a very picturesque manner.

"You didn't ask Hirata-kun and Kushida-san to come?" I asked.

"No, you're the only one I need to tell," he replied.

"What is it?"

"It's about this case, of course. What do you think of it?" he asked.

I see... He wants my opinion, huh?

"It's a losing battle, Ayanokouji-kun. I've racked my brain last night, thinking of any possible argument to save Ike-kun and Yamauchi-kun... But it's no use. We don't have anything. They have concrete evidence, while we have nothing but logic to twist their statements. In the end, they'll be punished by the school," I explained.

There's no way out. We got completely caught off-guard. But seeing Ayanokouji-kun's calm expression, it doesn't seem like everything's lost... Or at least, that's what I'm hoping for.

"To twist their statements, huh? Well, if you can do that, then you don't have to worry Horikita. That's all we need."

"What? It'll do nothing but draw out this case."

"That's right, perpetuate it. It doesn't matter if it's next week, on Friday, or tomorrow. You just have to prevent them from making the final decision today. If you can do that, then we'll win." he said, looking at me straight in the eyes. 

Those were the eyes of someone who's telling the truth. Somehow, the anxiety that's been gnawing on me from the inside slowly disappeared.

But... we'll win? How?

"What are you saying...? Do you have some sort of plan?" I asked.

"I'll tell you everything once this is over."

This again...

"You've said that before, but you haven't told me anything."

"I'm serious this time. I'll explain everything to you after this, I promise."