Vol. 4: Chapter 9.2 - Not Even You

Even if today was a rest day, rules were still rules. Since this was entirely different from just having lunch together, we couldn't hang around for too long.

I checked the clock on my phone and saw that it was already 12:49 PM. Hashimoto immediately opened the discussion as soon as we reached the main deck's stern.

"How's the exam going for you?"

"I'm not enjoying it more than you. That's for sure."

After all, Hashimoto was also a member of the Monkey Group. Because of Kouenji's actions, their group basically got exempted after the first day.

"Ahaha! I gotta thank the traitor for that. I can't believe someone was ballsy enough to submit a name after two group discussions."

"Was the traitor not from your class?" I asked.

"What do you think?"

"Well, the name of the traitor isn't that relevant, to begin with, so I guess it doesn't really matter." I shrugged with a sigh.

For a brief moment, the two of us just silently watched the bright blue ocean surrounding the ship.

"Since this was your idea, I'm assuming you want to exchange some information," I said.

"Yeah. Contacting Sakayanagi is forbidden, so the school temporarily blocked her number. Of course, Mashima-sensei already explained the situation to her. Meanwhile, I can't really think of any winning strategy for this exam. Things are getting pretty tight for Class A."

Hashimoto and I talked with our gazes fixated forward. I could catch a glimpse of his small grin in my peripheral vision.

"Sakayanagi can't help you, huh? Does that mean you're working with Katsuragi for now?"

"Haha, not necessarily. His defensive strategy is good, but if the enemy gets a hold of the pieces, everything will break apart for us. The Sakayanagi Faction is letting him do what he wants, but we're also trying to find ways to win this thing," he replied.

"I heard he's working with Ryuuen. Or is that you and your faction?"

"Nah. Katsuragi has his hawk eyes on us. Because of the nature of this exam, we can't really make contact with Ryuuen or his associates."

"It's about the island exam, isn't it?"

"Yeah. Katsuragi is an extremely smart guy, so I already expected him to figure out my betrayal. But since I was working on my own, the Sakayanagi Faction didn't know what was going on. Katsuragi managed to make most of our classmates suspect me, even my allies," he sighed. "I don't know if you've figured it out already, but Katsuragi and Ryuuen are working together again. If I try to make contact with Ryuuen, Katsuragi will know, and that would strengthen his claims of my betrayal."

"I'm surprised he managed to convince the class."

"Class D will give us VIP names in exchange for private points. I'll use my own and my willing allies' private points to make the deal. That should be enough to secure our lead." Hashimoto tried to impersonate Katsuragi's voice and tone. "That's what he told everyone. Of course, all of us agreed. They're the ones spending their own money, not us."

Hashimoto's tone exuded style and confidence. A normal person wouldn't be able to know if he's lying or not in a casual situation like this.

"So you really can't scheme with Ryuuen this time, huh?"

"Unfortunately." Hashimoto's smile didn't match up with his reply.

I wonder if he's still planning to make contact with him regardless.