Vol. 3: Chapter 8.1 - Taking Over The East

2nd Day, 1:30 PM.

When we got back to the camp, our classmates greeted us with a smile.

"Welcome back, Kiyotaka-kun, Matsushita-san. We've prepared lunch for you." Kushida received us warmly with her friends following behind.

"Ah, thank you, Kushida-san, everyone. You're so sweet," replied Matsushita.

Grabbing my share of well-cooked fish and corn, I approached Hirata and asked about the situation.

Since we got the upgraded cookware set, we obtained cooking materials and gas in exchange for a more expensive buy. It was worth it, but Class C's water shower also had gas. Even though their cookware set only consists of utensils, the supply of gas from the water shower made their expenditure much less if they also decide to use them for cooking. As expected of Ichinose's class.

After confirming everything with Hirata, it was time for the next part of my investigations.

"I see... Is Horikita doing alright?"

"It's as you've said, Ayanokouji-kun. Horikita-san was quite sick when their group got back. I'm having her rest inside one of the girls' tents for now. She told me to apologize for her once you come back."

"If her condition isn't too bad, then it's all good. She'll probably recover tomorrow. Have Karuizawa keep an eye on Ibuki for a bit. We'll investigate the place we talked about last night after I reinvoke our right."

"I understand."

With that, Hirata and I stealthily headed out into the woods. None of us were familiar with the forest yet. Apart from the area around our base camp, we'd need a map to navigate the island and use self-made indicators like markings on trees.

I frantically scanned the manual as we walked. Trying to match that vague shape from Ryuuen's small drink table isn't the easiest thing to do. There were a lot of available objects that might share the same shape and size.

"This is it. This was the tree that Ibuki-san was leaning against when we found her," said Hirata.

"I see. Good job, Hirata. I'll investigate the small area around this tree. I want you to scout the southwestern part of the forest from here. You can have the map while doing so."

"Is it alright if I ask why?"

"Ryuuen's class will either retire tomorrow, which is the third day or after that, the fourth day. Surely, they won't try to camp out on the beach, especially at night where the tides are high. If my hunch is right, they might've set up their base camp in the direction that I told you. If you mark some trees in that area, we can navigate around it easier when needed."

"I see... If we can move around that area, it'll be harder for them to send out snoopers effectively. Thank you for explaining, Ayanokouji-kun. I'll be back in a bit." Satisfied with my explanation, Hirata went ahead and left.

I turned around and surveyed the ground. Because it was hot, spotting unnatural soil patches was very easy.

"I see... So that's his plan..."

It was a little over two in the afternoon when Hirata and I got back. Under Karuizawa and her friends' watchful eyes, Ibuki couldn't do anything but sit tight. Apparently, Karuizawa managed to take all of her time by interrogating her aggressively. And when she sensed that Ibuki's fuse was about to blow, she stopped playing the bad cop and proceeded to accept her presence with vigilance. That's what she told us, at least.

Right now, Ibuki walked back to her usual place and minded her own business while indifferently observing our campsite.

"Aren't I amazing?" Her expression was proud and cute.