Vol. 1: Chapter 11.2 - A Different Environment

"Yo, Ayanokouji. It's finally time, huh?" Sudou approached my seat.

After class ended, we showed the study group assignment to everyone. Of course, Kouenji strolled out of the classroom with his usual smile. After nodding to Sudou's words, I see the other three students assigned to me, approach awkwardly.

"Hey there, Sakura," I waved my hand. "Miyake, Hasebe, nice to meet you."

"Uh, Ayanokouji, you all said it was alright if we didn't attend the study group, right?" Miyake asked while scratching his head guiltily. "I don't really plan to ditch, but I have club, so getting a perfect attendance isn't possible for me."

"That's no fair Miyacchi! You have a club pass," pouted Hasebe.

Miyacchi? So they're close enough that Hasebe calls him using a nickname? That's quite surprising.

"I don't really mind. We're doing this to increase your exam scores, but it's still completely optional. It's also the same for you, Hasebe-san. It's alright if you don't attend. If you can study on your own, then by all means," I replied.

"Ah, I was half-joking about that, Ayanokouji-kun. Besides, I'd feel guilty if everyone else is working hard to get high scores while I'm sitting there with my average scores." Hasebe looked away before muttering. "I guess I just prefer spending my time alone."

"I have club too, Miyake, but I took some time off. Don't you wanna do the same?" Sudou asked curiously.

"Hmm... I don't think I need to, at least not for this midterm," answered Miyake.

"Huh. I guess that's reasonable. Since I got a failing grade from last time, I need more time and effort to study."

"Well, whatever your decisions are, I'll respect them. But if possible, I'd like all of you to give your best in this exam," I said.

"Of course! Let's get those 100 class points!"

At least Sudou was enthusiastic about studying. I never would've imagined that when I first met him. They all looked at him with wry smiles. If he's motivated then I'd consider this a good start.

"Hirata and Kushida's groups are studying in the classroom along with some other groups. Do you guys wanna relocate somewhere?" I asked. "Sakura, do you have a place in mind?"

"Eh? Ah-- I-I don't particularly mind where we study..." Sakura, surprised that I addressed her,  answered stutteringly.

"I want some peace and quiet. Is the library alright?" Hasebe suggested.

"I'm up for it," Miyake nodded immediately.

"Sure, I guess," followed Sudou.

I looked at Sakura and both of us nodded to each other. Alright, I guess it's the library then. They often play classical music in the background so it's quite relaxing for me, too.

Luckily, the corner-most table on the back wasn't occupied by anyone. After laying down our notes on the table, I began to distribute a bunch of papers.

"I prepared these questions for you. I'll see how I should teach you guys based on the results." I turned to Sudou. "Yours is a bit nonstandard, Sudou. Since you're lagging behind, I'll teach you differently than the others."

"I see... Gotcha!" Sudou was quite confused but that's fine.

As I listened to Mozart's Salzburg Symphony No.1, their pens danced on top of the paper I gave them.

After 20 minutes, they submitted their answers and braced themselves for my evaluation.

"Hmm... This is interesting. Hasebe-san and Miyake-kun, your scores on each subject are almost identical..." I said.