Vol. 4: Chapter 9.4 - The Peak of a Monolith

Start from the beginning

"You know that we can just lie about this promise, right?" I inquired.

"That much is obvious, no? However, if that happens, then we'll gladly take the loss while it's early. At least we'd know that Class B cannot be trusted."

Like Ayanokouji-kun, Ichinose-san thought about the long game. That's why she didn't bother asking for a contract.

"Alright, we promise. Class B will not submit the names of any VIPs from Class C. However, this deal is severely disadvantageous for our class. Since we're thinking about the future, then we'll expect some compensation down the line."

"You can count on us! We'll definitely pay you guys back."

Ichinose-san's vibrant smile didn't fade. She gladly started laying out their plan. As expected, it was extremely simple, yet terrifyingly effective in the hands of the right people.

Day 1, 9:30 PM.

"Everyone, we've successfully made our initial negotiations with Class B!"

Inside the private lounge were fourteen students including Ichinose, Kanzaki, and Tsube. Apart from Dragon Group members who were all present, Class C only chose one student to represent the eleven remaining groups.

"That said, I'd like to remind everyone about the task I've given you earlier. Feel free to decline, though." Prioritizing her classmates' autonomy, Ichinose gives them the option to refuse anything in a joking manner. "For the duration of the exam, I want everyone to become friends with their groupmates."

"That's just such an Ichinose-like task," commented Tokitou Katsumi. "Don't worry about it, Ichinose. We've been doing just that."

Ichinose nodded gratefully.

"I know it sounds silly but making more friends means more information. Of course, I'm not telling you to create fake friendships. Taking advantage of others or manipulating them isn't our goal here. I want you to genuinely befriend those who are in your group. If you gain any sort of crucial information regarding the exam, you're all free to completely hide them from me or anyone," she explained with a smile. "For now, I just want you to get along with them."

"I understand that the main goal is to make friends. However, if we're not doing this for psychological manipulation or any sort of deceptive tactic, then may I ask the point of this in terms of winning the exam?" asked Hamaguchi, who sensed that there must be something more to Ichinose's so-called 'task'.

"Perfect question, Hamaguchi-kun." Ichinose comically pointed at him. "Don't worry, everyone. I'm doing this with every intention to win, but the truth of this plan doesn't need to be known just yet. If we still haven't figured out the VIPs from other groups by the Rest Day, then that'll be the time for me to reveal everything!"

Ichinose's confidence and charisma told them that things will be alright if they leave everything to her. They knew their leader had a plan. As long they do their part, they can entrust the call-making to her.

"Before the designated Rest Day, it's better for everyone to focus on naturally socializing. That's why we decided to leave everyone in the dark for the moment. I hope that much is clear," nodded Kanzaki.

"Ohh, interesting."

"Alright, Ichinose-san. You can count on us!"

"Somehow, this feels really thrilling."

Class C came to an agreement without much trouble. Because of Ichinose's reassuring presence, everyone in her class had been on the same page.

"Class C had used the first and second days to expand its connections. Of course, we genuinely wanted our classmates to make new friends, so this strategy was a convenient way to go about it," explained Kanzaki-kun.