Vol. 3: Chapter 7.2 - Misjudge

Start from the beginning

"It's the second day, right? Have you guys bought any stuff with your points?" followed Matsushita.

"T-That's..."

"If I remember correctly, you only had 270 points at the start. Are you guys doing alright in terms of spendings?"

With the guise of kind and innocent curiosity, Matsushita and I barraged him with questions.

"Ah-- It's fine if you can't answer us. Our class was having a tough time. We were just trying to check out if the others were doing alright." With a smile to finish it, Matsushita might've just broken through Totsuka's defense.

The other students had anxious expressions, but no one stepped up to confront us yet. After all, our ulterior motive wasn't really obvious. They can't decide whether we're genuinely asking out of concern or using manipulation to extract information. Not only that, it seems like Totsuka has a high position in their class hierarchy as Katsuragi's right-hand man. They couldn't come forward even if they felt like Totsuka was getting played by the two of us.

"Well... you see-"

"Yahiko? What are you doing? I don't recall giving you permission to invite guests."

We were this close to getting something concrete. However, a tall student came out from the cave. It was Katsuragi Kouhei.

"K-Katsuragi-san... These two Class B students were asking some questions, and-"

"It's fine, no matter." Katsuragi interrupted him before facing us. "You're Ayanokouji, right? I've met you and Horikita Suzune back on the ship. What are you doing here?"

"Nice to see you again, Katsuragi. This is Matsushita, a fellow classmate. The two of us were assigned with checking out the other classes' base camps."

After nodding to Matsushita's greeting wave, Katsuragi instantly tackled the situation.

"So you're curious about ours, too? Certainly, the way we covered up the entrance would raise some questions."

Oh... At least, he's aware that this vinyl tarp is weird.

"Is there anything inside that other people aren't supposed to see?" asked Matsushita.

"I'm afraid I can't answer that. We've prohibited non-Class A students from entering, as well."

"Hmmm... I see. That's understandable." Matsushita nodded understandingly as if she could see where Katsuragi was coming from.

"Oh? Aren't you going to ask further? When Class C's Kanzaki interrogated me earlier, he tried to force his way in by using the rules."

Katsuragi raised an eyebrow, probing the meaning behind Matsushita's response.

"It's certainly not within the rules for a student from a different class to barge in on another class's base camp. We're not given the right to monopolize the area surrounding the spot, after all," she explained. "But I guess you can call it an unspoken rule of sorts. Or at least, that's what it feels like for me. You get what I'm saying, right, Ayanokouji-kun?"

I nodded in response. Matsushita understood the situation, after all.

"I'm glad we're on the same page. As you've explained, we're fundamentally not the owners of any area, but because of the rules, we're compelled to camp around certain main spots to garner points and protect our assigned leader's identity. Class A has this cave, Class B has the river, and Class C has the well. If we look at how everything works, you can say that the areas around the main spots are half-monopolized," Katsuragi replied with a satisfied nod. "That's why I adopted a strategy of To Each Their Own; to prevent conflict."

Impressive. Since Katsuragi already knew about our base camp, he must've sent some scouts yesterday.

"Sigh... So basically, you don't want us to meddle with your business. We can force our way in, but we must also be prepared for the consequences. That's what you're saying, right?" I asked with a shrug.

"Indeed. If you do anything that we deem malicious, our class will strike back. As a fellow member of the upper classes, it's better to avoid trouble."

"You're right, Katsuragi. For Class A and B, the better strategy would be to conserve and increase points. Trying to go on the attack is riskier," I agreed with a nod. "Well, if that's the case, then I guess we should get going. We've inconvenienced you guys for a while now."

Matsushita followed me as we walked away into the forest. But before we could leave...

"Wait," Katsuragi called out as he slowly approached us.

At this point, the mood has completely shifted. The Class A students around him finally felt that our little innocent performance was nothing but a farce. And Katsuragi and I were about to have a battle of passive hostility using words.

"Is there a problem?"

My attitude finally exuded some arrogance.

"This question has been on my mind ever since May. Your own class adviser must've told you about this already, but your class was the first-ever Class D to be ever promoted. How did you do it? It shouldn't be something boring like 'everyone worked hard to be a good and rule-abiding student', right?"

Like Ryuuen, Katsuragi must've already been hypothesizing that someone in our class figured out the S-System from the start. He was probably just asking me for confirmation.

"Do you really think we'd share that information when you're being this secretive about your little cave?" I asked provocatively.

"Hm, I see. It was quite shameless of me to simply ask that out. If it's not about our base camp, then I'm willing to exchange information with you."

"Then we can have this conversation some other time. We have places to be, after all," I said as turned around.

"Maybe you can answer this other question of mine, however," Katsuragi spoke out. "Class D has Ryuuen while Class C has Ichinose. Class A has me, though a portion of our classmates recognizes Sakayanagi as the class leader. But for Class B, it's always been unclear. Who's leading your class?"

Matsushita looked at me with a slightly anxious expression, but she was also slowly trying to comprehend my sudden shift in gears.

"You can say that it's me, but Horikita and Hirata could also be considered as leaders."

"Interesting. I didn't think you'd be straightforward. It makes me think that you're not treating us like a threat."

"You misunderstand. I don't plan on underestimating my enemies."

Katsuragi replied with a stare.

"Well, you've gotten your answer, so we'll be going on ahead now." I gave him a side glance before leaving.

Katsuragi watched us walk away with a sharp look. From start to finish, he remained unperturbed. His composure is certainly worthy of mention. Someone like that could make decisions effectively-- a trait fit for a leader.

When Matsushita and I entered the forest, we swiftly reached the cornfield.

"So... That just happened..."

"I don't think it's a big deal."

"That's Class A you're challenging, you know?! Well, that's probably what I would've said if you were any other person, but since it's you, then I guess Class A isn't so scary."

Matsushita shrugged as if none of this involves her at all.

"I'm glad you have a lot of faith in me, but I can't fight them on my own, you know?"

I feel like I had this conversation with Kikyou before...