Vol. 3: Chapter 2.1 - The Doors of Purgatory

Start from the beginning

"Nothing comes easy in this world.", "This school guarantees nothing for other students."

Those words stuck into the minds of us, Class B students, who were supposed to be branded as the defects in our year. Our main goal after enrolling in this school was to graduate in Class A and secure our future. However, that's also why the school wants us to experience a simulation of what might come in the future. I don't know how necessary this special test on a deserted island is, but we have no choice but to comply. With how brutal some workplaces are in the Japanese work industry, this special test should be tame in comparison.

"I assume you're all thinking something like; 'What does this test mean?'. Or perhaps some of you doubt the existence of such training programs. However, students who remain at such a base level of thought are unlikely to become anyone promising in the future. What is your basis for determining this to be 'unbelievable' or 'ridiculous'? You're just students. In my opinion, you're all equally worthless. What kind of insignificant person determines that they can criticize a leading company? That's bizarre. Were you a president in charge of one such notable business? If that's the case, then you might have some right to deny our claims. However, there shouldn't be any grounds for someone of your station to be able to do that." Mashima-sensei chided us while elaborating.

As students, we certainly thought that some parts of this so-called "special test" were unreasonable or unrealistic. But as Mashima-sensei has said, there'd be no basis for whatever opposing claims we have. It's just a difference in perspective. For the teachers, who were in the workforce, our reactions would be absurd. After all, they understood the point of this special test.

"Sensei, I have one question." Finally, a student from Class A raised his hand.

Mashima-sensei turned to him without saying a word.

"We were brought here under the pretext of going on a relaxing trip. After all, this was supposed to be our summer vacation. Don't you think that springing this corporate training on us out of nowhere can be considered unfair?" he asked.

"I see. I suppose that you're not wrong about that. I understand why you would be discontented," he nodded. "However, please do not worry. It would make sense for you to have complaints if you were being forced into a harsh situation. Even though we're calling it a special test, there's no need to think about it in such unhappy terms. In the coming week, you can go swimming, or hold a barbecue party. It wouldn't be a bad time for you to occasionally have a campfire and with your friends, either. The theme of this special exam is 'freedom', after all."

"Huh?"

"A test... An exam... But we can have barbecue parties?"

"I don't get it. I'm so confused."

This should be a pretty good time to explain whatever catch is behind those words. Even the guarded Class A and B students were visibly perplexed.

"As a major part of this test, we've decided to distribute 300 points to each class. By using your points well, you might be able to enjoy this week's special test just as you would a normal trip. We've also prepared a manual just for that purpose." Mashima-sensei raised the booklet that he received from another teacher. "This is manual lists all of the ways you can obtain points. It also explains where to get food, drinking water, and other necessities. If you wanted to have a barbecue, it explains how to prepare the equipment and ingredients. We also have numerous tools for you to be able to enjoy playing in the ocean to the fullest."

As Mashima-sensei finished his explanation, the students' grim expressions gradually faded.

"The way we use those 300 points will be at our own discretion? Is my understanding correct, Sensei?" The leader of Class C, Ichinose Honami, asked.