You are Perfect

CTTO: camilomarrymegal

Plot: A camilo x g/n reader who is insecure about their spanish speaking skills

Chay: I have exams today pray for me-

ANYWAYS I also drew my favorite scene in encanto

And a lil Pepa and Camilo doodle cuz i love them <3

no matter how much you practiced, you couldn't get any better at pronouncing these spanish words. you had moved to colombia from the U.S. so you didn't know much spanish besides the basics.

thankfully you had met the lovely madrigal family! if it weren't for them, you would've been stuck not knowing what most people are saying. you especially were thankful for camilo, who was truly the whole reason you moved there. he constantly helped you with the language starting with the basic affectionate names and greetings.

you rushed out of your small house in town, running to casita. you had been practicing this all night and you needed to try it out.

it was nerve wracking waiting for camilo to open the door. he usually never took this long, always eager to greet his beloved. in the time you had to yourself, you practiced the secret word over and over, getting more insecure about your pronunciation. you didn't want to act confident when saying it just to get it wrong.

the door of casita quickly opened and you jumped, yelping. "sorry, y/n! are you looking for camilo?" it was mirabel. you nodded timidly.

"he's just in his room, i think he's just trying his best to dress nice for you." she chuckled as she threw you a wink, running off to town leaving casita's door open.

you walked in slowly until casita suddenly pushed you to camilo's room, opening the door to throw you inside before slamming it shut. camilo jumped as you were pushed inside his room, catching you to make sure you didn't fall. your nose collided with his chest. you leaned your head back and rubbed it, your eyes tearing up a bit.

"jeez casita, be less aggressive next time or she could've gotten hurt!" his tone was angry which scared you a bit, casita was just being impatient, that's all. the floor tiles went up and down as if casita was sulking. he helped you stand, checking your face and arms to make sure nowhere else was hurt.

"sorry i took so long, mi amor. i was just nervous when getting ready." you noticed he had his ruana off and a nice dark reddish-brown button up shirt on. he could almost pass for his uncle bruno. or as you should say, tío bruno.

"mi amor.." you said softy, trying to make the same ending 'r' noise as he did, but you found it hard because you couldn't exactly roll your tongue to make the same noise. you looked up at him and he smiled lovingly.

"that was great. i'm so proud of you." he tapped your forehead with his own and you sighed, still upset. you have so much trouble pronouncing these words because you overthink, not because it's actually hard.

you took a deep breath in, wanting to call him the nickname you've been practicing but you exhale, unable to do it. he lifts your chin so your eyes meet, his eyes full of worry.

"what's wrong, y/n?" he searched your eyes as you frowned, the familiar lump in your throat forming. you tried to swallow it down but you couldn't, causing your eyes to water. you looked down.

"is this because of the whole pronunciation thing..?" he knew you'd been having trouble accepting how you pronounced things and felt embarrassed speaking spanish too confidently.

"y-yes... i just feel like.. if i speak so confidently but get it wrong then they'll think i'm a narcissist or something..." camilo gazed at you softly, wiping your falling tears. he pulled you into a hug, his chin resting atop your head.

"you're perfect no matter how you say it. it's okay to be confident and get things wrong, it happens. mistakes are what help you learn." his words were so gentle that you couldn't stop the flowing tears as your grasped his shirt.

"thank you.... cariño..." you mumbled. you finally used the nickname. camilo jumped slightly at your words, but still held you. he felt his face get red.

"you're pronunciation is perfect. you're doing so well." he let go to look at your face as you smiled, wiping your tears with his hands. he lightly kissed you, resting his forehead on yours once again.

"practice makes perfect. believe in yourself and don't be afraid to accept criticism." you nodded as his hands held your face. he kissed your forehead before taking your hands in his.

"let's go have some fun, shall we?"