A Lynx, a Stallion and a Mountain Top

Dawn came and they left to climb the mountain. Neither of the two had said a word to each other since their short questions yesterday. Both their questions would have to wait, maybe the answers would reveal themselves in other ways. Kassa rode on Sembi at walking pace, Sarkon walked beside them, each long stride even quicker than the stallion himself. The first bit of the mountain was quite easy, just a grassy hill, further up it became jagged and rocky, a dangerous fall if one were to slip.

Luckily it wasn't me who was doing all the hard work, the great Stallion huffed and snorted although I was almost positive he wasn't tired. His never ending strength never wavered. Sarkon carved a piece of wood on the way up, I didn't know how he could keep his footing whilst concentrating on a piece of wood, but he seemed to be multitasking just fine. I couldn't quite see what the carved thing was, Sembi's movements made it hard to look straight. I had noticed that he seemed to carve wood quite a lot, where he put them all was still a mystery to me.

Thankfully I had managed to keep my thoughts at bay and let the present keep me from falling into their beckoning dark hole. The warriors face was strictly kept blank, so I couldn't read his emotions at all... he seemed to be a master at hiding his feelings from me, it had grown to be a nuisance.

I couldn't contain my curiosity anymore, "what are you carving?" I gave him a side glance.
"A lynx." He replied his voice was neutral, but gruff as always.
"Oh. That's nice." I commented, I was determined to have a conversation with him that wasn't all facts and questions. But why? Why a lynx? What did that mea- no. I would not think about that. Not now, not ever.
"Don't pester yourself, I made it because I'm very fond of the animal, I used to be able to shift into one myself. I miss it a lot actually." He was looking at me, a half smile on his face. How did he know what I was thinking? I shook it off.

We reached a sharp cliff. "Sembi, please fly us up." I demanded, the Stallion was somehow infuriating, 'I have my reasons' we don't care, just fly us up! Was what he always said.
You will regret me doing this, but I will so you don't cause an avalanche. He replied, humour glinted in his bronze eyes. So we flew, all the way until just before the tip of the mountain, Sembi claimed he was tired, but his snort and powerful strides suggested otherwise. Even so we walked up. "What do you think we'll see?" I asked Sarkon who shrugged but replied,
"Well, White bloods live near here, maybe we'll see... I don't know." His voice faded away. Sembi looked at me. White bloods? Yes, they're meant to be in Zepter, how close I have no idea. The great horse huffed his approval, and somehow I felt his spirits lift.

The tip of the mountain was a few meters away, I quickened my pace. The icy wind howled so loud I couldn't say anything to the others. I slipped on the snow but managed to keep moving, each step closer to the top, where I would finally be able to see the other side.

But there was nothing I could do to prepare myself for the sight that lingered over the edge.