Vol. 1: Chapter 16.2 - Looking Back

Start from the beginning

"I don't have them, but I know someone who does. I can get the test questions from him and give them to you directly, but how much are you willing to give me?" he narrowed his eyes.

"10,000 points."

"Are you kidding me? I won't accept anything below 30,000," he said.

"Let me tell you something, Senpai. I thought of this strategy as a way to increase our class average, not to prevent anyone from getting expelled. We'll be totally fine even I call this whole thing off," I said with a grave expression. "And you're not the only one we can negotiate with, so please don't get too ambitious with your demands."

Our positions switched in an instant. There's no way he can let this deal go knowing that others can take it.

"Tch, shit... Fine, 20,000..." He clicked his tongue in frustration.

"You didn't seem to understand what I said, Senpai. Fine, I'll settle for 12,000."

"Damn it... That's too low..." he was agonizing about accepting my deal.

I guess I can let him bite the carrot now.

"Hmm... How about this then? Do you remember the mock test that all of us were asked to take before May? I'll give you 18,000 points if you can include that."

His expression instantly changed after hearing my compromise.

"Alright-! I'll settle, I'll settle. I'll give everything to you directly in exchange for 18,000 points."

"It's a deal then. Don't rip me off, Senpai. Point transfers are always recorded."

"I know, I know. It's not like I wanna get in trouble, too," he said, acting irritated despite his obvious elation with how everything went.

I transferred 18,000 private points to his account and gave him my contact info.

After everything was settled, Horikita and I got up from our seats and proceeded to line up. That bit got me hungry. I wonder what I should buy.

"Ayanokouji-kun," Horikita called out to me as soon as the two of us sat in our respective seats. Her lunch set looks pretty appetizing.

Horikita usually makes her own bento. But since it's pretty rare for her to visit the cafeteria during lunch, I guess she decided to make an exception for today. I'm glad I specified to her that our business will be "during lunch at the cafeteria".

"Hm?"

"We're in a pretty inconspicuous part of the cafeteria. I believe there's no risk in explaining everything here?"

"Of course. Where do you want me to start?" I asked, stuffing a spoonful in my mouth.

"You can tell me everything at your own pace. Please don't leave out any details," she replied.

"Alright, I'll ask you a question then. What did you think of it-- of what I did just now?"

"It was... pretty ridiculous. No ordinary student would think of getting old test questions from upperclassmen unless they're good friends with them," she said.

"Well, you're right. Some might even think that it's tantamount to cheating."

"That's what I'm concerned about."

"You don't have to worry. If the school really considered it cheating, they would've outlined it in the rules," I shrugged. "And besides, I knew everything was permissible during our first exchange. His composure indicated that bartering points like that is a common practice in this school."