Chapter 2 : Voices

I opened my eyes as I heard another voice calling my name and telling me to touch the creature. I tried to lift the tips of my fingers and then right when I touched his arm, I was blinded by the light..

..............
y/n...
It's not over
Open your eyes, the demon is still there
...................

" What demon?" I thought out loud, holding my head in light of the pain I was feeling " Demons exist ?" Barely standing up, I glanced around at my surroundings, wondering why I was the middle of a forest at night. How did I get here? What is this place? Did something happen?

" Yes demons do exist , who do you think I am?...pathetic"

I glanced up exactly where this croaky voice came from only to see some creature scarcely sitting up straight on a tree branch. It looked like it got hurt from something as it had some burn marks and was hanging on firmly to the tree, not having any desire to move towards me.

"Who are you? What was that you made? Do you know how much it hurts? I'll never forgive you for that !" he added.

" Wait, what? What have I done? I should be the one asking you. What am I doing here ? I don't understand anything"

"Well..well, now that's something I did not anticipate. I guess I'll have my revenge then. I don't think you're a threat anymore.I knew you were pathetic! Let's just hope you're tastier than those two grown-ups in that house. That woman really thought she could protect her sick pitiful husband from me. You're just as pathetic as her!" the creature bellowed at me.

I recoiled at his high pitched voice and gradually made a stride back, lifting my hands up " Look, I still don't know what you're talking abo-"

I wasn't even ready to account for myself, the demon hopped down directly before me, brutally pushed me on the tree that was behind me and scratched my entire arm all the way from my shoulder to my hand with his long nails.

I shouted in torment as my blood dribbled on the ground. His weight and his enormous figure didn't permit me to retaliate, I was completely immobilized. It felt like he was about to tear my neck apart as he opened his mouth and uncovered his sharp-edged teeth, still tugging me with his multiple hands, when suddenly he was decapitated right in front of my eyes and disintegrated in a matter of seconds.

My vision was still blurry and what I witnessed rendered me even more confused than I already was. I attempted to walk closer to this person who, based on his shadow, was wearing a mismatched haori but I wound up swooning.

I set myself up for one more cruel fall on the ground, squinting my eyes yet I felt arms solid folding over me instead, and heard some words "Don't worry, I got you" then everything went dark.

.............
y/n ....y/n
You can trust the person you're with right now
Go with him, train and become a demon slayer
You will discover your secrets soon enough
..................

I woke up in a cold sweat, finding myself laying on a futon in a well organized room. Looking around, I found some medicines next to me.  A shrill ringing in my ears which , out of reflex, made me rapidly lift my hand up to hold my head yet I halted when I found out that my harmed arm was bandaged .

" How are you feeling?" I looked up and saw a guy who seemed slightly older than me, wearing a serious and emotionless expression.

His black hair was tied back in a low messy ponytail. I intentionally stared at his eyes for too long until my insight began to blur and I blinked multiple times, successively.

I was only trying to figure out everything what has been happening to me, until I realized how uncomfortable he might've felt " I'm sorry for staring, it's just that I think I lost my memory when I was in the forest back in the mountains, based on what the demon told me. Then, there's this voice that I've recently heard in my mind that I don't quite recognize. I also didn't know demons existed until that one came up to me and was conversing with me about wanting revenge when I don't recollect doing anything to anybody." I replied, frustration consuming me.