Miles's POV

I don't know how long I've been staring at the stars, the moon, the darkness inside and outside of me.

I've had my third drink of Whiskey on rocks but nothing helps, I can still think straight, I can still--think about everything, it's almost two am, ten minutes to, and I haven't been able to get over the fact that she's . . . she's--

"Fuck," I breathe into the darkness of the night before smashing my glass against the window, everything broken into pieces of white glass.

I need to fix this, I need to . . . somehow. I glance over to my side at the phone laying beside me, it's black, just the touch I recognize, and when I tap the screen, not a single phone call or message floods my eyes.

She doesn't miss me, of course, she doesn't . . . it's up to me to make it right this time, she's the one that knows what she wants, but what do I?

Madison's POV

What feels like almost a whole day ago, David made the bed for me before I told him I was too tired to be up for longer, and with a smile he nodded at me, letting me know he'd be going to bed too in an hour or two because apparently after surviving the cancer, it still hasn't been as easy as he had hoped.

I toss and turn for almost an hour, falling asleep and waking up again until I realize that I won't be able to stay asleep, there's too much on my mind; too many thoughts racing through my mind, and yet I can't seem to choose one of them to think about.

My feet slowly take me out of the bed and almost immediately my body is somehow awake, the room is dark and quiet and when open the door with only a sliver of light shining in the hallway, I travel down the stairs as quietly as I can, hoping not to wake up David. I'm glad Becky isn't in the house because I know she would be much more likely to wake up from my creaking footsteps.

My top is much too warm to sleep in, on top of Shorts that David managed to find me; something of Sandra's. I somehow can't find the right balance, wishing I would have worn something that feels like a winter coat compared to the shorts, the high small shorts that somehow make me uncomfortable to wear, but thankfully I'm practically alone.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do at two in the morning when I'm practically in this whole house alone, except for sleeping David in the master bedroom upstairs, but the hot climate and the sheets that have been tossing and turning with me wasn't working anymore.

My throat suddenly feels dry and I find myself almost coughing, but before I do, I walk into the kitchen, forcing myself to try my hardest not to wake David up, he was already nice enough to let me stay here and the last thing I want to do is to interrupt him at two am. I open the fridge slowly and quietly but there's no water or anything that isn't beer for some reason, there's hardly even food which makes me wonder just how affected David and Sandra are by the new baby they have.

I quickly turn to the sink; I need water even tap water. I let the water run freely before opening the kitchen cabinet above the sink and reaching my hand high in an attempt to grab one of the only cups available.

"You alright?" I hear behind and I quickly jump.

"David." I breathe in an almost laugh, trying not to let him know just how much he scared me.

"Getting some water?" he asks and I nod, "Yeah, um, I just got thirsty somehow, I couldn't sleep." I give him a small smile as I watch him walking toward the island and away from me with a shine in his eyes.