T H I R T E E N

"Do you have a spell in mind?" Eden asks as we walked into a janitors closet.

"Yeah," I sighed, "I do. We just need a mouse, some herbs, and two witches. That's us."

"Alright," she nodded, "I can get a mouse, you get the herbs."

"Remember, the mouse has to be alive first." I reminded. She gave me a look. "I know how it works, Hope."

"Sorry.." I muttered and we walked out of the closet. "Meet me back there in ten minutes, okay?"

"See you then." She walked off. Okay, free period, I can make it work. I walked out the School and as soon as I was out of sight of anyone I started running through the woods until I reached my house. I panted as I opened the door and ran upstairs to my room where I collected a few herbs and placed them in a bag along with a wooden bowl before running all the way back to the School and to the Janitors closet.

"Okay," I panted. "I'm here."

"Jeez, girl, how far did you run? Why did you run?" She asked from her spot on the floor. "Doesn't matter." I waved it off as I sat criss cross on the floor across from her. It was a small space but it would have to do.

I poured the herbs into the small bowl. "I also grabbed some candles and there's salt already in here in case we need it." Eden spoke.

"There was already some in here. I put them here." I said carelessly. "Mouse." I held by hands out. Eden moved to remove the top off of a shoe box and handed me a squealing rodent.

"I'm sorry." I whispered to it before snapping its neck. I reached up and grabbed a Jack knife off a shelf because these people really don't know how to keep kids from getting their hands on them. I made a small incision in the stomach and let the blood drop into the bowl.

"Put the salt in a circle." I ordered as I stood up and grabbed a few candles. I waited until she had made the salt circle before placing a candle on each side of it and snapped my fingers, watching as they ignited.

I held my hands out, crossed, and Eden took them in the same manner. "Repeat after me." I instructed and she nodded before we closed our eyes. "Inveniet hostium et tenebrae." I said. "Inveniet hostium et tenebrae." She chanted with me. Already, I could feel wind picking up from nowhere. "Inveniet hostium et tenebrae. Inveniet hostium et tenebrae. Inveniet hostium et tenebrae." I paused. "Anything?" I asked her.

"Not yet, no."

"Keep going. Inveniet hostium et tenebrae. Inveniet hostium et tenebrae. Inveniet hostium et tenebrae. Inveniet hostium et tene-" we were cut off by a shock that jolted up each our arms before knocking us out cold.

~

I groaned as my eyes fluttered open and slowly sat up, looking at the mess round us. "Eden." I groaned, seeing her still unconscious form on the ground. "Surgere." I muttered and she sat up slowly, placing a palm to the back of her head, letting out a groan of her own. "What happened? Did it work?" She asked.

I sighed. "No." I stood up and extended a hand down to her, which she accepted and I pulled her up as well. "It definitely did not. It means something it blocking us out and the spell we just used backfired and knocked us out when it couldn't fulfill its purpose." I explained.

I checked my phone which had a message from Stiles saying they had a lead. "It doesn't matter anyway." I clicked my phone off. "Thanks for the help but I've got to go."

"Yeah, no problem. I've got to get to class, anyway. See you soon, Hope." She walked out of the closet, me following and closing the door behind us. "Claudo te." I muttered. That should've sealed the doorway off so no one can see the mess we kind've left inside.

I left the School and started walking to Deatons where Stiles told me they were meeting. I didn't run because I still felt a little... woozy, I guess.

~

"Hey." I greeted as I walked into the vets.

"Hey." Stiles replied but then furrowed his brows. "You okay? Your looking a little pale." He asked as he walked closer to me.

"Yeah, I'm good. Just a bit tired." I responded, sending him a reassuring smile before walking over to the group with him.

"So what does this kids homework have to do with finding Deaton?" Cora asked as we came up to the table.

"Because it's not just homework, okay? It's a Project on geomagnetic fields. They flow through the earth. They can even be affected by lunar phases, all right?" He turned to a page in the assignment. "Now, look at this. This is a note from Harris on Danny's proposal."

"'I strongly advise you to choose another subject. The ideas here, while innovative and thoughtful, border on pseudo-science. Not suitable for class.'" I read.

"Harris wasn't just a sacrifice. He knew something." Scott said.

"Now, check this out." Stiles continued. "Allison's dad wasn't the only one with a map, all right? Danny had one too." He laid out Danny's map. "Danny marked all the telluric currents, okay? Now, the weird thing about Beacon Hills is that it actually is a Beacon. You wouldn't believe how much energy flowing through the Earth is around this town." Scott examined both maps.

"Stiles, look, they match." He realized. "All right, there's three places, right?" He circled a place. "Where they're kidnapped," he circled another spot, "and then the place where their body was found."

"Look," Lydia pointed. "That's right on the Telluric Current."

"So, maybe where he was sacrificed is somewhere in between."

"Let me see that." Stiles muttered, Scott handing him the pen. "You said that there's six more bodies to be found. Deatons one of them. He's got to be somewhere in between, right?"

"Stop." I grabbed his hand, stopping him from circling the wrong spot. I moved it towards the right one. "He's in the vault."

"He's in the same vault." Cora said. We started gathering up the stuff and went to race out when Lydia stopped us. "Guys, hold on." She said.

"Lydia, we don't have time." Scott rushed.

"It's Boyd." Cora said. "The plan didn't work. They cut the power."

"It's just like he said." Scott muttered in realization. We all looked at him and he looked back up at us. "Go." He nodded. "I can save Deaton myself."

"What?" Stiles stepped forwards. "Scott, what about us?" He asked.

"Cora can't get there fast enough without you." Scott reasoned. "Go. We can save both of them." He ran out. Stiles turned to us. "All right, let's go."

~

We opened the door and walked into the power room. "Okay, what do we do?" Stiles asked.

"We pull them." I answered. "Pull all of them." We all grabbed onto the levers and pulled them all. I texted Isaac 'now' and the light turned back on. "Ok, let's go." We rushed up towards Derek's loft as fast as we could, only to see a sight that haunted me. Boyd was laying in the water that covered Derek's floor, motionless, no heart beat... Dead. Derek was knelt down, crying. Stiles, Cora and I ran forwards. Cora knelt by Boyd while Stiles and I stood behind Derek. I placed a hand on his shoulder, Stiles doing the same.

This wasn't how it was supposed to go.