Chapter 87 - You...

Start from the beginning

Umaj heaved a sigh "I am looking for her for myself. I have been living all my life under salvation and at this point of my life I don't want to live my last stage as a slave anymore" there was a sudden regret flashed in his eyes.

Nandini frowned "slave? Medic Umaj is surely joking. How can a skilled medic like you become a slave?"

Umaj forced a smile "your highness may not believe it but it's the hardest truth of my life. My family has been studying medicine and practicing it for such a long time. The men in our family are all skilled medics and have been serving a royal family like a tradition. But even after those loyalty to the master, the master in name never recognised it and was forced to commit crimes one after another. We didn't have a choice but to accept it. If anyone defies then they would be punished not physically but mentally. The royals would kidnapped the female of the family and made the person see when they torture her. Because of that I refused to get married when it was my time to settle down. Living a life of slave is already enough for to drag another person in the pit of fire. It was hard to live like that. And the only way to free yourself was death. But life is not that cruel because I got the opportunity to leave that place. In my family tradition, there is no one left except me so I have no fear of that. So when the chance was given I left that place and I don't intend to go back again" finishing he sighed again. Today he felt like he had just lifted a huge burden from his shoulder.

Nandini carefully listened to his words and she could see the sincerity in his eyes. The man before him is already aged one. He didn't marry because he didn't want his family to suffer the same fate his elders did. She must say it was a hard choice but the right one. She really wanted to appreciate it but she still didn't find the answer she wanted.

"So how come Aiyara is related to medic Umaj?" She asked.

"Aiyara" Umaj voiced out "she is the reason I was able to escape that hell. If it was not for her curing the prince I wouldn't have given the chance to leave that place. Intentionally or unintentionally she helped me and dragged me out of the place I hated the most. And for this I will always be grateful to her. And why I wanted to meet her is I am really curious how she cured the second prince" At the end Umaj's tone became an excited one.

On the other side the corner of Nandini's lips twitched. She never thought helping Vaibhav out of his misery would land her in another form of trouble.

"How does medic Umaj know what kind of poison the second prince has?" She asked again.

Umaj looked at her. He felt troubled inside. How can he say that it was him who made the poison? She is the empress, the sister in law of the second prince and she knew it was him who caused this then wouldn't she get enraged and do something he really regret the next second? But after talking to her, Umaj also understands Nandini's temperament. The woman before him was not someone he can fool. So now it was hard for him to choose the path spread before him because at the end both of it lead him to hell.

Nandini observed his changing expression. She raised her eyebrows at him "is it that hard for you to admit your fault medic Umaj?"

Umaj, who was pondering over his decision, suddenly jumped in his seat with surprise. His eyes went wide as he looked at her.

"Your..you…"  he couldn't say any words.

"You have already told your side of the story, do you think it is hard to guess?" Nandini asked casually.

"I…." Umaj lowered his head in shame "your highness I know and I admit it. At that time even if I was reluctant I couldn't help but agree. In my family tradition we learnt medicine to serve people and help but not to kill but the situation didn't let me choose the right path"

Nandini looked at him seriously "though it was not your choice but your poison still hurt the second prince. Not only physically but also mentally. Besides it was not only him who suffered all these years but it was also the Empress Dowager and Emperor himself. They suffered a great deal. The mocking, the laugh of others and also the resentment of not being able to live normally, all these happened because of your  poison. Medic Umaj, do you take the responsibility of this?"

Umaj could not help but nodd. He is aware of the effects of his poison but he still gave it, ruining the years of the Second Prince's life. No matter how much he regretted it, all the wrong had already happened and it can not be resolved again. Since he left  East Peria he was already determined to do anything and now he couldn't step back.

"Yes your majesty I do take all the responsibility"

Nandini nodded seriously "thought you have your reason but at the same time you also damage a person's life. You need to get your punishment. Ageratina infirm the guards a d take him to the investigation room"

Umaj had already expected it so he gradually agreed.

"Medic Umaj, I know you regretted your action. I hope once this investigation has finished you won't get the tough punishment like others. Your sting reason do had some morality but still you need to rectify your own mistakes''

Umaj looked up. Whatever he did was not less than sin but the empress has referred to it as mistake not sin. Suddenly he felt great admiration.

"Thank you your highness" that was all he could say before he left with the guards.

Nandini watched his back disappearing into the hallway. Maybe one day he can really meet Aiyara as a reward for his loyalty.

That night Manik was late when he arrived at the Rose Palace. Nandini was already in her nightgown while sitting under the lamp and reading a book. Hearing the noise she looked up and found him walking in.

"You have not slept yet?" He asked her while removing the outer coat.

"I was not sleepy" she replied as she closed the book and pushed it on the table.

Manik took the seat beside her "how did you find the medic?"

"I didn't. It was him who confessed himself" she replied then paused for a moment "what do you think about him?"

"He has committed the mistake so definitely he will be given punishment"

Nandini looked at him "it was not his choice but forced to. But still his action has caused the royal palace to suffer for many years. What a strange situation, each side of the balance weighing scale, sin and loyalty are in the same weight" she sighed.

"This is the judgement, no one can escape but the real culprit is not him. He is just a piece of pawn" Manik replied.

"Who is it?" Nandini frowned.

"The king of East Peria" Manik clenched his fist. He couldn't wait to read that person into pieces.

Nandini saw his action and held his hand "don't worry, a sinner's sin is about to be full" then she frowned remembering something "you are so late. Are you hungry?"

Manik looked at her intensely "yes I am hungry"

"What do you want to eat?" Nandini smiled.

"You …"

"What-" before she could utter she was already lifted from the couch.

"You are more delicious wife"

And then she felt herself pressed on bed while he hovered over her. Nandini sighed inwardly. She is helpless in this matter.

Totally helpless.