twenty five

jack moretti

The plan in theory seemed simple: temporarily send Selyse away to ensure her safety, hunt and kill Silas, then bring Selyse home. But it was proving to be far more difficult than I expected and it started with the first step.

I didn't want to let her go. And the moment she told me it was like reliving the first time I sent her away, my mind started rearranging my entire plan just so she could stay. I knew it would hurt her, but I didn't know it would hurt her like that. She looked at me with her doll eyes and quivering lip and I just about caved.

I started questioning whether this was all really worth it. For once, I understood why my father gave up everything for my mother when she came back. The fight with Silas just didn't seem worth it. And I knew Selyse saw things as me choosing work over her, but I knew there could never be a world where I had even one enemy threatening her safety. I would never be able to peacefully sleep at night and Selyse doesn't deserve to keep seeing the paranoid version of myself.

Maybe it was my paranoia and I'm used to sleeping with one eye open because I'm worried of someone taking her from me, but it wasn't something I enjoyed doing. Going to sleep worried that someone would take her away from me is something I've been living with since I sent her to Vancouver. After the wedding, living like that no longer seemed like an option. I've never been afraid of anyone or anything, but that was now changing.

"Las Vegas," Aiden got off the phone with a groan. I looked at him confused while he paced around my office. I was so consumed in my own thoughts that I didn't fully understand what he was saying. "The bastard is in Vegas." That was more than we've known for a while. The girls had been gone for just over two weeks and it felt like we were making no progress.

His soldiers had gone quiet. I had personally taken care of every single one of his men that were involved in the destruction of my wedding. Even then, none of them seemed to know where Silas was. It was either he had strong men who would never snitch, or they genuinely had no idea where he was. Trey had mentioned Silas was back, but even he didn't know where.

On the rare occasion that I had time to call Selyse, it's always been when it's the middle of the night for her. As much as I knew she'd answer and be eager to talk, I already felt guilty with everything I've put her through. I've barely been able to sleep or eat because it felt like I was wasting time. My schedule consisted of clearing dead bodies, hunting Silas, torturing his men, and still running all my businesses. There didn't seem to be enough time in the day. Especially when Selyse has a permanent spot in all my thoughts. The longer this take, the more I feel our relationship going backwards.

"He's there because he knows we'd never go there. Not with the tension between us and them," Aiden concluded and looked like he might've punched the wall. The same thing I would've done if I didn't have a piece of Selyse in my hand. My hand went onto my lap to play with the rag Selyse thinks is a stuffed animal. It's not stuffed enough to qualify for a stuffed animal. But its clean and it smells like her.

I used my other hand to use my phone to call my sister. I may not agree with my father's decision to marry her off, but the marriage might prove to be useful. As of right now, she was the only reason Las Vegas and Los Angeles have been civilized.

"Jack, hi. I've been meaning to call. I'm sorry about your wedding," Aria began with a sympathetic tone. Her and her husband attended the wedding. But I didn't want to hear anymore condolences about the wedding because it wouldn't do anything for me. The only thing I wanted right now was to rip Silas' heart out with my hand. That was the only thing that would fix this.

"Is Olivier with you?" I disregarded formalities but she didn't seem to mind. I had a lot on my mind right now.

"Yeah. Why? Is everything okay?"