-Asset Out of Containment-

-2 WEEKS BEFORE THE OUTBREAK-

"Gah! I'm so sorry!" The man panicked and cringed as he fussed over the drenched man in front of him doused in a day old's coffee. The man covered in the bitter liquid removed his thick glasses and wiped his face. The coffee basically manifested itself as if it were seeping out of his face since there seemed to be no end to its constant dripping. He silently thanked his eyewear for shielding his eyes. His hair stayed matted to his forehead as the foam dribbled down the sides of his face.

"It's alright Liam...just watch where you're-" he tried to swat the trembling man's hands away from his face and scowled when he didn't seem to get the hint.

"Oof....oh no it's all over your face Doctor Lee I- lemme just-" Liam presented a tissue and proceeded to dab at the doctor's face aggravating him further.

"I think you've done enough son.." another voice interrupted Liam who squeaked at the sudden command. He bowed in a flustered manner before hurrying away from the two men he had run into.

"Back to what I was saying commander, there's something terribly wrong. The prototype, it seems to be amplifying on its own, which is very alarming since we did not foresee this happening and it's growing vigorously. The subjects are reacting to it in a way that cannot be considered normal...there is no external change except for the difference in dental structures and the elongation of nails...mentally, they are completely unstable. We can't exactly pinpoint the reason but we're working on it and we will be able to soon. All we know is that the subjects have been showing signs of harrowingly aggressive behavior. Even the ones prone to be aggressive have unnervingly increasing levels of rage" doctor Lee spoke confidently using his hands to gesture the importance of his discovery.

He and the commander walked down a bustling corridor, passing multiple labs with large glass windows for the luxury of viewing the experiments without having to enter. Each lab was occupied by different scientists with different roles and goals, all working to achieve the same outcome.

The commander waved his hand asking the scientist to continue. Doctor Lee nodded and began.

"Just a few days ago one of the assistant researchers almost had their eyes scratched out by a chimpanzee. Being one of the smartest, calmest, and most gentle animals in the lab, it had tried to harm its own caretaker...and as the trials continued its behavior changed again. During the last examination, yesterday, we found it trying to ingest its own flesh! It refused to eat anything but meat! We were forced to keep it sedated until we could find a way to fix the obvious issue but it wasn't fazed at all by the drug. Instead, it attacked the anesthesiologist and sent them to the ER. We had to put it down before it could hurt itself or anyone around it again" 

The commander sighed "If you could get to the point and spare me the details this would make our lives a lot easier"

"I cannot stress this enough....We. Can't. Possibly. Start. Human. Testing" he reasoned, pronouncing his words perfectly and pouring every ounce of emotion he had into the sentence, hoping the commander would understand the grave and urgent meaning behind his words.

The commander stopped suddenly, making Lee jerk to a halt. He turned around with a mysteriously plain smile and addressed the scientist, who pushed his specs back to rest on the bridge of his nose.

"This isn't the news I expected when you called Doctor Lee, but that's not what I'm worried about," his expression dropped all of a sudden and he glowered at the man before him, "Have the volunteers been prepped?"

Lee took a moment to register what had just happened, the commander's question seemed to have thrown him off guard.

"That's what I'm trying to say here. We can't have them prepped until we're certain that the vaccines are safe enough. We've notified them about the drug and how it will take some time-"