Talks and Manipulation (A)

We didn't relax. The three of us stood taught with tension, waiting.

Jared frowned. "It would be easier to talk if I could hear you, too."

I stared him down. I wasn't going to phase back until I felt better about this situation. Until it made sense. Why didn't Sam show up himself.

"Okay. I guess I'll just talk, then," Jared said. "Alex, we want you to come back."

Quil let out a soft whine behind him, seconding the statement.

"You've torn our family apart. It's not meant to be this way."

I wasn't exactly in disagreement with that, but it was hardly the point. There were a few unresolved differences of opinion between me and Sam at the moment. And as far as I was concerned Sam and Jacob tore it apart – threatening my family, my mate.

"We know that you feel... strongly about the situation with the Cullens. We know that's a problem. But this is an overreaction."

Seth growled. 'Overreaction? They were planning to break the sacred law... They were going to attack our allies.'

I could feel Leah shift uneasily beside me, 'Calm down Seth, something else is going on'

'right... sorry'

Jared's eyes flickered to Seth and back to me. "Sam is willing to take this slowly, Alex. He's calmed down, talked to the other Elders. They've decided that immediate action is in no one's best interest at this point."

'Translation: They've already lost the element of surprise,' Leah thought.

It was weird how distinct our joint thinking was. The pack was already Sam's pack, was already "them" to us. Something outside and other.

"Billy and Sue agree with you, Alex, that we can wait for Bella and Rosalie... to be separated from the problem. Killing them is not something any of us feel comfortable with."

I couldn't hold back a small snarl of my own. So, they didn't quite feel comfortable with murder, huh? But any attack on the Cullen's was an attack on my family, my mate.

Jared raised his hands again. "Easy, Alex. You know what I mean. The point is, we're going to wait and reassess the situation. Decide later if there's a problem with the... thing."

'Ha,' Leah thought. 'What a load'

'You don't buy it?' Seth asked.

'no... their betting that Bella and Rosalie will die. That Alex will be so heartbroken that she won't stop them, and Bella's death would break the treaty. Jacob would consider it fair game, as far as they see it Edward caused her death, breaking the treaty by doing so'

"Alex?" Jared asked. I huffed a sigh.

'Leah, make a circuit—just to be sure. I'm going to have to talk to him, and I want to be positive there isn't anything else going on while I'm phased. I need to make sure this isn't a trick...'

'on it... and Seth if I see any inappropriate pictures of Alex in your mind' Leah snorted once and then launched herself into the forest. I could hear her claws cutting into the soil, pushing her faster.

'I won't... don't worry Alex I'll keep my eyes straight forward.'

'everyone else has already seen it...'

Nudity was an inconvenient but unavoidable part of pack life. It was awkward for me at least. I had decent control and didn't lose my temper, but everyone had caught a glimpse... and I shared my fair share of intimate moments on accident.