I'm Still Learning (A)

The next day I went to Sam's just like I said I would. My mom and Aunt were trying to keep everything a secret, but I knew they needed to return to work.

My mom debated on how to conceal it, Mono was what Billy suggested but everyone agreed that sounded outlandish for me, so she blamed my auto immune disorder. No one truly knew the effects of it, so a flare up was possible.

My mom would make up some story about a new medication or diagnosis. As for my change in appearance, well I was finally healthy, and I had a growth spurt. It seemed plausible to me-only Carlisle would be smart enough to know something was wrong and he was gone.

And no one else would question my mom.

But this all brought its own issues, I was too big for my clothes. The only things that fit – were my sports bras (they were tight, but I didn't have much of a bust anyway) and socks...

The only thing that fit right were my socks...

At least I had some joggers that could pass for capris. And I could throw on a jacket that was long enough to reach the top of my pants, the arms were too short, and it was too tight to zip up all the way, but at least it gave me a sense of decency and I didn't feel like I was walking around naked.

After breakfast I grabbed my keys and began the journey to Sam's home, or the address he gave my mom. It wasn't his moms house I knew that much, but I was told he would be there.

Once I pulled into the drive of the home, I was met with a tiny wood cottage. It was two stories with a large porch on the front of the house, that had an awning to cover it. It was a cute little hideaway, I understood why Sam stayed here, it was away from people. The perfect place to keep a secret, it's probably why everyone thought he was doing drugs.

Why they would think I was too.

Sam was standing outside with three other people. Paul and Jared were just like Sam tall, short hair and were buff. Paul was arguably more 'toned' than Sam, but they were roughly the same size. Jared looked the least dangerous, Sam was the tallest only by a couple inches. Then the woman, she was short, or the shortest maybe 5'6, the same height I was before.

She was beautiful, long black hair, the only blemish was the scar along her face, bear attack I heard. But now I'm beginning to think that wasn't the case. Even just phasing was dangerous, and I had no control, if my mom was closer, I could have really hurt her. I wondered if this was the same thing. She was standing close to Sam, as if more than just friends. It confused me because Sam had been with Leah a year ago.

"Good morning, Alex" Sam said as I approached.

"morning..." I sighed. Giving a nod of acknowledgement to Jared and Paul, were the same height as me, Sam was a little taller about 6'0 or 6'1.

"I guess we have a lot to discuss. Let's go inside and we can start there"

"okay..." I followed behind Sam while Paul and Jared ran off. I didn't know where they were going, I assumed they were just like Sam, it's the only explanation for it.

Once we got inside Sam gestured for me to sit, then he turned to the woman "Alex, this is Emily. Em this is Alex"

Emily smiled gently "it's nice to meet you, Alex. Are you hungry?"

I waved to the woman "oh, no. I already ate"

"well, if you get hungry help yourself. I'm sure this place will turn into a second home sooner or later"

With Emily gone it was just Sam and me.

"well, I guess I should explain"

"that would be great..."

"well, you remember those stories we were told, as kids? The old legends?"

I nodded "about the cold ones and the wolves"

"exactly, well their true"

I sighed... I already knew that. What I didn't know is why I turned into a giant wolf.

"you seem to be taking this very well, most laugh."

"that's because I know it's true. I just don't understand why I turned into a giant wolf"

"that's why Paul and Jared left; they went to collect the council. They can explain it better than me. You're different"

"what?"

Sam's brows furrowed "well, there had never been a female shifter. But Billy and Harry had noticed your change. A growth spurt, slightly elevated temperature. Then you got sick, and it was just like everyone else, with the exception of anger issues."

"I was angry yesterday"

Before Sam could respond I heard another vehicle pull up. I glanced outside to see Billy and Harry and Sue? I was even more confused and getting a little irritated that no one was telling me anything.

I followed Sam out onto the porch.

"it's happened, hasn't it?" Billy asked looking between Sam and me.

"yes, yesterday morning. I wanted to give her some time to decompress before everything else."

I looked at the three new arrivals. "well, let's get started" Harry said. I couldn't help the snicker that left my mouth, the way everyone was talking was like I was joining some sort of cult. But the reality of the situation, I kinda was.

"it's like a cult" I mumbled rubbing my face. Obviously, Sam, Jared and Paul heard, and they too let out a snicker or chuckle.

"it's not that bad. For the most part" Paul joked, walking past me and into the house. Sam gave me a look of sympathy, before gesturing me to follow. I could tell he didn't like this; he didn't want me to be here. He didn't want me to be forced to this life.

Soon we were all gathered in the kitchen. I was sitting next to Sam and Billy. They began telling me what Sam did and going over some of the old legends.

"when the cold ones get close, the gene required to phase will get triggered." Harry spoke. I furrowed my brows.

"then why did it happen after..." I trailed off. "why didn't I phase beforehand, I had plenty of contact with the Cullens and nothing happened."

"I agree it's suspicious" Billy added looking at me. Harry then spoke up.

"Demetri phased, when he was in his early 20's"

Billy turned to look at him "I didn't know this"

Harry shook his head "Mark and I only saw it because we were with him when it happened the first time. He was terrified. Ran off for a while, then he came back and married Val. We never mentioned it again..."

I could see the others think about this, concerned "it's possible that you were happy, and that's why you didn't faze" Sam added "when Bella fell you did too, it could have escalated the gene"

"so, it runs in my family? This would have happened anyway?"

Billy nodded "I believe that, and your bloodlines. The Uley and Black lines carry the gene. Your body must have decided now was the time."

"So, what now?" I looked at Sam and the others. "I mean what do you do as a giant wolf all day?"

"we protect the tribe, from the Cold ones" Sam replied. It was an honorable thing to do, and I had seen firsthand what happens when a rogue Vampire wanders through. I absentmindedly rubbed at the bite mark on my hand, I didn't want that to happen to anyone, I knew I couldn't protect them all or kill all vampires, but I could stop them from hurting my family. I nodded.

"okay"