Chapter 20: First night at Roscoe

Oh you've done it now Dayton, The voice spoke up once again.

Dream sighed, he had hoped that the voice would disappear for good. He was starting to feel like he had gone mad, arguing with himself like this.

Oh you have certainly gone mad to suggest a game like that, the voice spoke once again.

It was a mere challenge, nothing dangerous, Dream reasoned.

It was a bloody excuse for you to touch the Earl, and for him to do the same to you. Think with your brain Dayton, instead of your groin.

Dream did not respond for he knew that it was true.

And what will happen once he finds out that you are a Chess Master. He will ask to join, and you will be unable to refuse him.

He shall never know, Dream responded, turning his head to look at George, who was having a nap in the carriage.

They had stopped at an inn in Addington, not wanting to bother the Thornhopes to rest for the night, then got back on the road in the early hours of the day.

George was still tired, and had fallen asleep the minute that they had entered the carriage.

Stop staring Dayton, the voice reminded. And for the first time in a while, Dream actually listened, and eventually fell asleep as well.

~0~0~0~

"...sore from riding," a voice, that Dream recognized to be George's, spoke.

"What?" He groggily asked.

George turned his head to face the Duke. The Earl appeared to be talking to someone outside the carriage.

"Oh good, you are awake. Dream, do tell your stubborn butler to accept my offer to ride in the carriage, they must be sore from riding for so long." George said.

Dream looked at him confused, until he realized what the man was saying. While they had been riding in the comfort of their carriage, their valets and butlers had been out in the sun since they left the estate.

He then leaned out to speak to Bad, "Listen to Lord Marleigh. Bad, you and Skeppy get in here at once." Dream tapped on the roof, signaling Karl to stop the carriage.

The butlers hesitantly got off their horses, and handed the reins over to George. The Earl smiled before turning to their valets.

"You men get your rest as well, we shall wake you when we are nearing Harwell," he said.

Sapnap and Karl did as he asked. Dream then got up to drive the carriage, while George tied the extra horse to the back. He then mounted the other stallion, and they continued on their journey.

"It surprises me, that you are willing to give up your comfort for your men as well. I fully thought that I would have to drive the carriage alone."

Dream let out a small wheeze, "Karl and Bad are not only my servants, they are my dearest friends. They have been looking after me their whole lives, it is only fair that I do the same for them." Dream said.

George flashed him a smile, before slowing his horse down so he could peek through the window. Karl and Sapnap were sitting down, snuggled up together, with Karl's head on Sapnap shoulder, and the latter's head resting on top of the brunette's.

On the opposite seat, Skeppy was leaning on the carriage's side, with Bad's laying his head on the dark haired man's lap.

George smiled, then snapped the reins of his horse, speeding past the carriage to feel the wind sting his face. Dream watched in awe as the Earl rode past him, before circling back through the Chestshire Forest.