4: Red Mist

AFRAH

"Ya Afrah," Jinan called, walking into her room.

Afrah kept aside the book she was reading and looked up at her twenty-year-old sister; irritated to have been interrupted. "What is it?"

"Someone wants to see you," she replied.

Afrah huffed. "Whoever it is, tell him I'm not around."

"But he's already in the living room, and dad is even speaking to him. He was the one that told me to fetch you." Jinan informed.

Afrah heaved a sigh of exasperation. She was tired of the back and forth with suitors. She just wanted to have a stress-free life.

"Unlike the last person that came, this one is handsome." Jinan sheepishly smiled.

One glare from Afrah was all it took for Jinan to scamper out of the room.

Reluctantly, Afrah put on a hijab and sauntered to the living room.

Dr. Abdulmalik was conversing with a young man and was laughing heartily—something he rarely did. He was always so strict with his children's suitors.

"Dad, you called for me?" Afrah asked, ignoring the presence of the young man.

"You have a visitor." He replied.

Afrah's gaze darted to the man whose lips were curved upwards.

"I invited him in so that you two can comfortably talk." Dr. Abdulmalik stood up to leave.

"I don't know who this man is or what he wants," Afrah said; her gaze still on the man. "You should leave. I'm not interested in talking to you."

"I'm the person that spoke to you yesterday. I w—"

"Oh!" Afrah sneered. "Didn't I tell you not to bother me ever again?"

"What's this tactless behavior in my presence?" Dr. Abdulmalik boomed. "Is that the way to speak to your visitor?"

"This pest is not my visitor!" Afrah rebuked. "I politely told him I'm not interested in him yesterday, but he chose to disgrace himself by coming here today."

"Shut up! Not another word from you Afrah." Dr. Abdulmalik's lips quivered as he spoke. He then turned to the man, whose head was lowered in embarrassment. "I'm sorry for what happened here. Please leave for now."

Without saying a word, the man ambled out of the house.

Dr. Abdulmalik averted his gaze back to an unremorseful Afrah. "Do you realize how much you just embarrassed me in front of a total stranger?"

"I didn't do anything to—"

"Amina, please come here!" Dr. Abdulmalik yelled. "Nazeer!! Jinan!!!"

In on time at all, the whole family gathered in the living room.

"If Afrah has chosen to be stupid, has everyone else also lost their sense of reasoning?"

"Calm down, Abdul," it was his wife. "What happened?"

"I have been imperturbable, but not anymore! How long do we have to sit and watch Afrah destroy her life?  How dense can your daughter get? A good man just came here to ask for my permission to get to know Afrah. He's also Nupe and he is from Kutigi. But Afrah insulted him right in front of me. Is this how it's going to be forever? The fact that I'm lenient does not give you the liberty to take me for granted! I will not condone your stupidity any longer."

"Is it my fault that I'm not interested in him or any other person? I don't like him. I won't marry him unless you intend to force me t—" Afrah was cut off by a resounding slap across the face by her father.