Afrah held her cheek in disbelief. Since she was birthed, her father had never laid a finger on her until now.

"Did you just talk back at me? Try it again and I'm going to beat you up." Dr. Abdulmalik threatened.

Mrs. Amina gasped and got in-between father and daughter. "It hasn't gotten to that, Abdul. I believe Afrah is old enough to—"

"Old enough to be in her husband's house! She's twenty-five already and still not ready to settle down? She even dares to tell me she's never going to get married? This insolence has to stop and right now! Go into your room, pack your belongings and get out of my house."

Stunned, Afrah looked at her father.

"Dad, please let her stay," Nazeer beseeched. "She just got back from Qatar and this is a new neighborhood. She doesn't know anyone."

"Please, dad," Jinan pleaded. "Don't throw ya Afrah out."

"What are you saying, Abdul?" Mrs. Amina got in front of her husband. "Afrah is our daughter. As parents, if our kids are trailing the wrong path, it's our duty to bring them back on the right track, not cut them loose! I agree that Afrah is unwise, but that's not the way to go about this."

"Ten days," Dr. Abdulmalik spoke. "Ten days is all I'm giving to Afrah to present someone to me. Failingly to do that, I will personally kick her out of this house, and I swear, anyone who tries to get in my way will be kicked out as well." With that said, he walked out of the house.

"Hey!" Mrs. Amina belligerently turned Afrah around; her hands still on her shoulders. "You've succeeded in causing a commotion in my home! Are you happy now? Tell me; are satisfied?" Mrs. Amina cried and pushed her away. "You foolish child! What do you want me to do with you? I have tried to talk sense into head but apparently, you have a thick skull. The man you're ruining your life for doesn't even regard you. He has moved on. He has a wife and he's living happily with her. Aren't you ashamed pulling a stunt like this?"

"That is his choice," Afrah wiped her tears. "It's my choice if I decide to stay unmarried. You all should leave me alone!"

"You heard what your father said. If you don't present a suitor in ten days, he is going to throw you out, and I'm not going to stop him." She said and walked away.

Afrah's legs gave out and she broke down in tears.

"The person you're fighting your family for isn't even worth it," Nazeer shook his head. "I'm so disappointed in you, Ya Afrah. If anything happens to dad or mum because of your stubbornness, I won't forgive you. This is ridiculous!" Nazeer muttered his last statement and also walked away.

"What are you waiting for?" Afrah asked Jinan. "You should also give me a piece of your mind and walk away."

"Ya Afrah," Jinan crouched beside her sister; her eyes glossy. "Everyone is just concerned about you, that is why they are angry. Ya Nazeer was right; you shouldn't have said all those things to dad and mum. You hurt their feelings badly. I have always supported you, but I won't be able to do that this time."

Afrah waited for Jinan to leave the living room before bursting into sobs. Her whole family had turned their backs on her, and she was going to be thrown out of the house in ten days. Although she had enough money to rent a small apartment, she wasn't prepared to live in seclusion for the rest of her life.

Walking into her room, Afrah locked the door and cried some more. Her heart was not only broken by the way her family disrespected her. Jameel's betrayal hurt her the most. He claimed to love her, yet he couldn't wait for her.

When Nazeer gave her the news of Jameel's wedding, as it was the talk of the town at that time—a grand occasion—the little hope that she had of ending up with him crumbled. She wanted to leave her studies behind in Qatar and confront him but the self-respect she had refrained her from doing so. She didn't want it to seem like she was the one throwing herself at him. If he really loved her, he wouldn't have broken their covenant. The fact that he got married to someone else proved to her that the love was one-sided. But despite the betrayal, she couldn't bring herself to entertain suitors. She wasn't a tad bit interested in men anymore. She only wanted to be single for the rest of her life, but no one wanted to support her—not her friends or even her family.

"Ya Afrah!" Nazeer banged his fist on her door.

Afrah cleared her voice before asking; "What do you want, Nazeer? Do you want to insult me some more?" Afrah was angry with Nazeer not because she felt insulted by him, but because every single word he hurled at her was nothing but the truth.

"I want to talk to you." He responded from the other side of the door.

Nazeer was Afrah's immediate younger sibling, but right from when they were growing up, people couldn't tell because he was physically bigger than her and always acted very mature. Nazeer had been the best friend Afrah never had. Afrah was way closer to him than she was with Jinan. Nazeer had always been the person she runs to for advice.

"After everything you said to me, I don't want to even see you."

"The truth hurts but you still have to hear it. That good-for-nothing man isn't worth it. Why don't you get it? That man has a wife and maybe a child. He has moved on, yet you're still waiting for him. It's pathetic. Really pathetic."

"You're the pathetic one!" Afrah retorted. "You're an idiot. A crazy, stupid, foolish idiot! That is what you are. It's your fault. It's actually my fault for treating you like we're mates."  

When Afrah didn't get a response, she reckoned Nazeer had stormed off. 

She rolled her eyes and muttered; "If they want me to leave this house, then so be it. I will leave."

Assalamualaikum/hello!

Surprised that Afrah is alive? 😁

What do you think about Afrah's decision to remain unmarried? Loyalty or foolishness?

We've reached 1k views. 🥳🥳

Don't forget to vote and comment 🥰

Keep sharing ☺️

Follow me on Instagram @deey_jah

deey_jah
❤️❤️❤️